• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hetfield: Destroyer of diffs

GREAT JOB PRT!!!
It only took seven months!!!!

The car wasn't touched until the first weekend in November as Mike had other commitments to attend to. Also, Mike has been helping me a lot over the last year with my projects, and most of that time it was spent handing me tools and learning....this time he took the reins and did the work on his own. I was there while he worked in case he had a question or needed another pair of hands, but for the most part he did all the work himself, and I give him a lot of credit for getting it done right the first time. :cool:

Last edited:
Hetfields car lives?!?!?! Just in time for winter!!! I see snow predictions next week already yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! So Mike installed the headers too? That trubendz probably sounds alot better now hey Mike?

The car wasn't touched until the second weekend in October as Mike had other commitments to attend to.

Fixed. We started on the 12th. Damn hunter's ed was the whole month of September, and if you missed a class you couldn't pass.

In real time from the moment the car was sitting on jackstands until it fired up was 2 & 1/2 weeks. Yeah it took me a while, but there were plenty of times I'd just be lying under the car trying to figure out the best way to tackle something. I did gain a much greater appreciation of what it takes to work on the Contour, though. Josh promises that the next swaps will get easier :)

2 1/2 weeks if you figure you were out there every day, but you weren't. If you figure the number of days you were actually out there and the limited hours we had to work, I'd say you got it done in about a 5 days(40hrs)...and they do get easier the more you do them. :cool:

Good to hear your SVT's back on the road! :cool:

Well, not quite yet :eek: It's still on jackstands with the bumper and headlights off. It was going on 10:00 when I started it up, and we didn't want to put it completely back together just to have to tear it apart to fix a problem. Tonight it rolls out for a quick test, and if the suspension doesn't fall out of the car it's going to get a bath.

After that I start looking at suspension upgrades. :drool:

Berry nice. Good feeling eh?

F'in A. When we started, Josh gave me two choices: One, he helps me get the trans swapped and headers installed. We'd get it done in two, maybe three days. Two, he stays hands-off except for the things where you really need two people, and I could say I did it myself. I cursed that car so many times, and I even took it out on Josh a little (sorry), but in the end I'm glad I did it. I saved a ton of money doing it myself, and I learned a lot. I'm definitely not cut out to be a mechanic as a career, but now I feel like I can do a whole lot more and not be scared of hand tools.

Hetfields car is officially home now, back to it's regularly scheduled program of sitting in his garage being waxed twice a day. :laugh:

F'in A. When we started, Josh gave me two choices: One, he helps me get the trans swapped and headers installed. We'd get it done in two, maybe three days. Two, he stays hands-off except for the things where you really need two people, and I could say I did it myself. I cursed that car so many times, and I even took it out on Josh a little (sorry), but in the end I'm glad I did it. I saved a ton of money doing it myself, and I learned a lot. I'm definitely not cut out to be a mechanic as a career, but now I feel like I can do a whole lot more and not be scared of hand tools.

Its fun diving into stuff eh? Next project dive into it head first and ask questions later. Its fun to find out later on you could have done something totally different and it would have taken half the time. (I'm actually serious about this) It's fun learning new things makes the job that much more enjoyable. Kind of like when we did Nicks 3L :) Wrenching on stuff is easy Mike its the troubleshooting that seperates the men from the boys.

Picture or vid of big, smokey burnout!:laugh:

Ok.

DSCF1190Medium.jpg

Back