• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How Many CALI CEGers

Wow, thought I already posted in here... guess I missed it.

Simi Valley (SoCal) I see some local cegers.... time for a 4 car meet up lol.

Doing my 3l swap right now - MurkyRiver - loved your thread!!!

BigJim - were practically neighbors. Oh yeah, I feel the love in this Thread

Hell yea, we need a meeting!
I do want a meeting with both SoCal and NorCal, but there is nothing in between bay area and LA.... (which is like 4-6 hours)
Therefore, i can't think of any place will be majorly acceptable for the whole Cal......
Any suggestions?

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. Let me know if you need any advice or verbal assistance with your swap. I am more than willing to help. I can give you my number so that you can either text or call me. Let me know.

Hell yea, we need a meeting!
I do want a meeting with both SoCal and NorCal, but there is nothing in between bay area and LA.... (which is like 4-6 hours)
Therefore, i can't think of any place will be majorly acceptable for the whole Cal......
Any suggestions?

Hmmmmm. It'd have to be @ the north end of SLO County or the South end of Monterey County. I'm sure we could find a place, assuming we had enough cars... I'd be down.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. Let me know if you need any advice or verbal assistance with your swap. I am more than willing to help. I can give you my number so that you can either text or call me. Let me know.

Thats why I like this forum. (compared to the Honda forums) Instead of a "yeah whatever response", you get an offer for some help and a phone number. Thanks MurkyRiversSVT. I'm knee deep in "axle removal land" right now, I may bug you. Thanks again

When it comes to the axles, this is what I did.

Driver Side:
I removed the driver side axle nut (remove the nut as a whole, I originally thought that I had to bust apart the clamps holding the nut together not realizing that it can be taken off as a whole) Best way to do it is have a friend step on the brakes while you brake it loose or grab a long extension and place between wheel studs and brace against the floor to keep it from rotating, or pop the center cap out of the wheel put the wheel back on and lower the car back down so the weight will stop the wheel from spinning.

I unbolted the lower control arms from the subframe. I found it easier to do it that way rather than fighting the ball joint on the lower control arm under the knuckle.

Remove the steering tie rod end (There is an allen key slot at the end of the stud so you can stick an allen key in there to prevent the ball joint from spinning)

From there you can pull the knuckle assembly outward to get the axle out of the knuckle. I left the axle attached to the trans on the drivers side and removed the engine with it still attached. It didnt get in the way at all.

Passenger Side:
For the passenger side I followed the same removals as above, but I removed only the axle and left the half shaft attached to the engine and trans. No need to bust up your knuckle trying to get that off as it can be done easier when the engine is out.

I will add a link where I give some pretty good detail on the 3L swap.

You are the man!
I'm with you all the way, but on the drivers side control arm, one of the bolt hits the tranny and won't come out fully. Jacked up the motor all kinds and still had no luck, so I'll read the thread and hopefully that helps. Thanks again.

What steps are you at right now? Have you removed the y pipe from the exhaust manifolds? Have you unbolted the front and rear roll restrictors? These will limit the ability to get that bolt out. I am not sure if you plan on doing this all tonight, but if so, you can set up your engine hoist and undo all of the mounts with the engine being held up by the hoist. This will make life a lot easier, but its not a requirement.

Let me know where you are at with this and I can better give you advice and helpful tips. I would hate to give advice on steps you have already passed lol.

There used to be a lot of us back in the day. But, alas....most have either moved away or moved on to a better car. Sigh!

That would include me. I bought a 2010 Fusion Sport. I still have the SVT, and exercise it when I can, and I still enjoy it, but it is not near the car as the 13 year newer Fusion. Time and progress marches on.

That would include me. I bought a 2010 Fusion Sport. I still have the SVT, and exercise it when I can, and I still enjoy it, but it is not near the car as the 13 year newer Fusion. Time and progress marches on.
Agree, that's y i am waiting and hoping ford will come out a Fusion GT/SVT
Anyway, how about a norCal meeting ?

I'm in the same boat as u. I still got my 97 sport and 98 svt but I've stabled them for my 06 V6 fusion. I've been steady modding the fusion since I got it.

My 97 I would like to part with it has a lot of good parts on it but the electrical has some issues. I put it up for 300 for the rims and you get the car with it haha.
It'd be nice to get a meet together in nor cal but it doesn't seem to many would show.

My 3L cougar is back up and running, spring is coming, lets get a meet set up? Fabulous fords forever is April 10th in OC, maybe we could meet up there?

Also I am looking for an svt with tan interior with a blown engine if anyone knows of anything.

Back