• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nitrous. Pro's, Con's, who uses/used it?

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
kinda thinking i want to hook up a 50 shot or so to the Tempo when i get it done incase i'm not happy with the performance. Thing is, i know it wears the engine quicker, its not exactly safe, not street legal, and there are a few other things, but i want everyone elses thoughts. If i do end up getting it though, i'll have to hide it from my gf. :crazy: She thinks bottle feeding is for babies.

Also thought it'd be fun on the Mystique.

Personally, I thought NOS was all fun and games until a friend and I turned his *built* chevy 400 SB inside out with it. We later figured out what went wrong, but with hindsight being 20/20 and all... I'd rather get beaten on the track than start from scratch with another high priced build, and my friend would agree.

What kinda shot was he running though? i'm just thinking a small 50-70 shot and have a throttle activated switch on it to prevent detination.

I've never ran nitrous on any of my cars, but I've been around it enough on other friends car to give you some pros and cons that I've seen.

Pros:
Cheap for a power adder
Extra 50-75 HP when you "need" it
Can be easily hidden (you'd have to use your imagination with your car... I've seen kits hidden under the dash, in speaker boxes, even in oil pans on race cars LOL)

Cons:
It's illegal to have the line hooked up
Bottle will eventually have to be refilled
It's "finicky"... need proper bottle pressure
Will require tuning for it so you don't blow your chit up ;)

It's no harder on the motor than anything else is perse'... just as long as the tune up in the car is right and you don't get crazy with the shot and timing with it. But as I said the bottle will eventually go dry, and when it gets low it sometimes will not spray like you think it should (see bottle pressure).

I've never ran it because of the cons, it's especially finicky in the winter when it's cold and I agree with your girlfriend...

If i do end up getting it though, i'll have to hide it from my gf. :crazy: She thinks bottle feeding is for babies.

"Bottles are for babies... real men get blown" :laugh::laugh:

Shannon

i would like to go supercharged with the car, but they dont make forged pistons for the car, so i'm worried about messin up the bottom end.

i would like to go supercharged with the car, but they dont make forged pistons for the car, so i'm worried about messin up the bottom end.

what engine are you running? you might be able to find some forged pistons for it over at BurtonPower.com but if you are running the HSC/HSO engine they might not be able to help as i dont think they ever got that engine in Europe.

Striker, i am running a 2.3 HSO bored .030" I know someone had a set YEARS ago, but i havent been able to find any myself. If i could find forged, i'd make up my own turbo manifold and boost that •••••.

Found some forged pistons for the Ford 200 ci and 250 ci Inline 6's, which used the same exact pistons. With those pistons, i'd be running 7.5-8:1 CR. I think a Turbo is in my future...

Found some forged pistons for the Ford 200 ci and 250 ci Inline 6's, which used the same exact pistons. With those pistons, i'd be running 7.5-8:1 CR. I think a Turbo is in my future...

Even if that weren't the case you could get someone to make a custom forged piston for you. It would be more expensive but don't think just because it's not "off the shelf" doesn't mean you couldn't get it.

7.5 or 8:1 compression is a little too low of compression even with boost. It's going to be really sluggish off boost. It would be better to run more compression so when not in boost it wouldn't feel so anemic. 9:1 would be a better starting point ;)

How different is the 2.3 HSO than a Lima based 2.3L? Are the bores that much different even at the .030" over you mentioned?

Shannon

The only thing the same between the Lima and the HSC is the bolt pattern for the flywheel/flex plate LOL. The stock compression ratio for the HSC is 9:1 to start with. guys hhe ave done research and i could run a chevy 305 piston with chevy 250 rods if i bore the block another .023" and machine down the crank journals .020"

Even if that weren't the case you could get someone to make a custom forged piston for you. It would be more expensive but don't think just because it's not "off the shelf" doesn't mean you couldn't get it.

7.5 or 8:1 compression is a little too low of compression even with boost. It's going to be really sluggish off boost. It would be better to run more compression so when not in boost it wouldn't feel so anemic. 9:1 would be a better starting point ;)

How different is the 2.3 HSO than a Lima based 2.3L? Are the bores that much different even at the .030" over you mentioned?

Shannon

I think stock compression on the VR4 is 8.5:1. of course its also a 3L V6 so it doesnt feel like a slug off boost.

I think stock compression on the VR4 is 8.5:1. of course its also a 3L V6 so it doesnt feel like a slug off boost.

It's 8.5:1 on the Cobra too Daniel ;) I don't really have to worry too much about the low compression on my car though as boost is instantanious on my set-up :D

There are two guys over on Modular Fords that just did builds of their own... one is a 2.3L Whipple set-up with 10.7:1 compression, the other is a HPP twin turbo kit with 10.5:1 compression. Whenever I have to rebuild mine It won't be at the stock compression anymore... probably 9.5:1 or close to it.

On a 2.3L four cylinder they're not known for power without boost behind them... so that's why I was saying it would be better for a little more compression than 8:1 if he put a huffer on it :) I used to have an 86 Mustang SVO with the 2.3L Lima based turbo motor... and off boost it was a slug :laugh: I'm almost positive it was 8.5:1 from the factory as well.

Shannon

thanks for the quote Smokinjoe. i just watched it a few night ago too :laugh:

Maybe i should go with a S/C setup for boost off the line...

instantaneous boost FTW! :D I can get 5PSI by 2000RPM :crazy::laugh:

Meh... it only makes about 15 psi on the hit :D I can't really complain as it only makes about 570 ft/lbs at about 3500 or so ;)

I got a torque curve flat enough to pitch a tent on :laugh:

Shannon

Found some JE flat top pistons which would keep my CR around 8.7-9:1. Should be good for low end power, when combined with the cam and 1.7:1 rockers.

Back