• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sad day has come for 5683

Insurance adjuster was out this morning. It is totaled. I am waiting to hear back from them on the buy back price. I really want to buy it back and fix it, but it all depends on how much they want for it.

They should only want $500. I did the same thing with my '95 SE back in 2000 and I live in WI. If that thing runs/drives, maybe put a new front clip on it and keep it for a beater :shrug:. I don't think you could pull it straight again.

I do have a '99 shell in the garage and the main wire harness you need with the fuse box...... You could have it all for free if you wanted to fix it.

If you two decide to part ways, hit me up. We are pretty close.

He bought another black SVT from Illinois off ebay to either fix up or use for parts, that's the last I heard. Update please!

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I was in the middle of moving. I now have both svts in my garage and plan to start working on them. The 2000 svt i bought with a engine knock was going to be use for parts. But i just cant get my self to destroy a perfectly good svt. So as of now the plan is to replace the motor. I think i would like to put in a 3.0L but i know very little so i would need to read up on all the 3.0 l boards.

I finally got around to taking some measurements of my 98.5 svt (smashed up). It looks like from the center of the rear axle to the center of the front axle is about 3/8th of an inch shorter on the drivers side. I think that i found where the buckling happened and it can be straightened. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Anyone one know Linux and this message board software enough to tell me why ubuntu wont allow me to reply on a post? ( i am on a windows machine currently)

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I was in the middle of moving. I now have both svts in my garage and plan to start working on them. The 2000 svt i bought with a engine knock was going to be use for parts. But i just cant get my self to destroy a perfectly good svt. So as of now the plan is to replace the motor. I think i would like to put in a 3.0L but i know very little so i would need to read up on all the 3.0 l boards.

I finally got around to taking some measurements of my 98.5 svt (smashed up). It looks like from the center of the rear axle to the center of the front axle is about 3/8th of an inch shorter on the drivers side. I think that i found where the buckling happened and it can be straightened. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

so you will be able to pull the frame straight on the one side? Then you could just weld in a core support from any old contour, replace the fender, hood, headlight, bumper, engine, and misc parts. You just need a 3 liter, SVT front bumper, and a duratec donor front clip.

I am hoping to pull it straight and replace the bent and broken parts.
I was working with two members on here for air bags and a dash before i got busy with moving.

Sorry for not getting the pictuers up yet i will try over the long weekend.

I doubt you would be able to reuse that core support. They are cheap and easy to replace. Hopefully you will be able to pull the frame straight though.

FavoriteMystaque tied his to a tree, and drove the car in reverse and managed to straighten it out. You should find that thread...

If you want a cheap front clip, I can call the u-pull-it yard in middleton that I go to and see what they want for one....

I doubt you would be able to reuse that core support. They are cheap and easy to replace. Hopefully you will be able to pull the frame straight though.

It has already been cut off the car it was bent ripped and way beyond pulling straight again.

5480_603939383674_20303248_35569204_1713737_n.jpg

5480_603939388664_20303248_35569205_6499027_n.jpg

5720_604863841054_20303248_35613478_5878122_n.jpg

This gives you a better idea of what i am working with.

A rag was added to the TB after the pictures were taken.

oh, you are just gonna weld in a new frame on the driver side and the new core support.

Good luck with it. Make sure to measure 32,768 times to make sure you keep it all straight.

Those are some of the wierdest wheels I have ever seen on a contour! haha - either way. Good luck getting it all together. I am picking up another SVT next weekend to part out and if the front clip is good, I would love for you to come get it.

The wheels and tires are my winter tires i used for one season before i had my jeep. I bought them off another ceg member. i put them on after the crash to make sure my eagle f1's didn't get flat spots.

yeah let me know about the svt you are parting out. I might need a few parts and the shell.

As requested by Blu_fuz i have a update to the build. I have both svts in my garage. The 2000 svt http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?48746-Picked-up-another-svt&highlight= has the bad engine removed. The clutch was wore as well. I am still trying to decide what to do with both cars.
I have determined that the 1998 svt axle has be pushed back roughly 3/8" on the driver side. ( I measured from center of axle to center of axle and compared sides ) I think i can see where the crush is located. It looks to be in the upper frame rail ( fender is supported by it) just behind the strut tower. (i will add photos by morning) The main frame rail and sub frame mounts i think are true. I am planning on calling a few body shops to see what they will quote to mount it to a frame jig and take accurate measurements. Then if its worth it i will do that and get it pulled true.

If i can get the 1998 true then i will take the parts off the 2000 i need to complete the 1998. Then the rest of the parts i do not need will be listed in the classifieds.

I will be posting more now because i will actually be working on the vehicles.

Back