• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Securing Jackpoint covers

Great idea. I'd be concerned about water buildup. Now you've added more capacity in the foam. I live in the Northwest, where water buildup is a big concern!

I'd recommend drilling the drain holes in the bottom-most edge.
this particular type of foam does not absorb water. in fact, when i went to take the picture there was some water in the cover, i just dumped it out like normal. the foam was completely dry, even the very bottom of it that would have been sitting in the water.

To prevent future buildups, I drilled two 3/16" holes in the bottom of each cover. Have had very little or no build up since then.

this past weekend i took some of the dense, springy foam that they use to support computer cases, battery backups, etc. with and put some in the jack point covers. i just cut a narrow strip if it wide enough to put pressure on both sides of the cover and stuffed it in. this particular foam is good as it wont absorb water or deteriorate, it also soft and spongy enough that you can squeeze it to get the covers in place but will always try to return to its original shape, pushing the sides apart. ill try to remember to get a picture of one of the covers with the foam in it.

Fantastic ideas guys!

Will definitely being taking advantage of both of these ideas when I swap on the summer rubber.

this particular type of foam does not absorb water. in fact, when i went to take the picture there was some water in the cover, i just dumped it out like normal. the foam was completely dry, even the very bottom of it that would have been sitting in the water.

I think i'll give that a try...mine fall off and hang by that plastic cable all the time.

mine never fell off to begin with but they would droop and i was always worried that one day they would fall off.

i recently went on a junkyard adventure to get a pass-rr plug which my tour hasnt had since i got it a month ago, got the one i needed, painted to match, then put a little dab or clear siliconie on each of the 4 tabs that hold it in.. these must take alot to knock 'em loose, my skirt actually had a gouge in it from where whatever the previous owner hit something and it goes right across the plug hole

Back