• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slave Cylinder failed, need opinions

random thought. i know my e0 is cursed. built on an indian burial ground in kansas. who elses is cursed and had this slave blow on an e0?

yeah thats the cheapest i've found. i was seeing if that was the best deal around. so plus one for yes it is. local ford is 150..

the dorman ones from rockauto are 1 number different on the end of the part number listing... they could easily grab the wrong ones off the shelf.

number on the box was correct for us, not sure if the actual part was though. Will see soon since my buddy just decided to let a shop do it

number on the box was correct for us, not sure if the actual part was though. Will see soon since my buddy just decided to let a shop do it

post pictures of the one that failed. There is a visual difference between the Zetec and Duratec one from my understanding.

I pulled the trans without removing the engine. It took about the exact same amount of work/time.

And yes, the subframe is still attached. Steering column must be unhooked, and pass side bolts must be nearly removed to get the SF to deflect far enough. HUGE pain in the neck.

That is how TRicker did the clutch swap on my old car.

motor is sitting w the trans attached to keep everything slightly cleaner while im waiting for the new slave. ive hit every bolt and hole w a tap and die on the car so it came out so easy. guess ill just twiddle my thumbs till its in.

took it out, looks exactly the same but it wasnt compressing. it was like locked. i got it unstuck. replaced it anyway. i have some pics phitibucket hasnt been working for me.

thats how i ususlly do it but is anyone else having issues with the photobucket beta not working right? it immediately redirects to a blank page basically.

I think they have some bugs to work out in beta, the thumbnail option isn't properly coded and doesn't work, and there is no ability to see the uploaded pic at full size, at least that I can find. I do appreciate that your library now opens in the same window instead of a pop-up.

I wish they'd just simplify that interface instead of feature-creeping it to barely-functional mediocrity.

so 3rd tob later and all is good. its been nightmarish. the second was a brand new ford tob. both did the same thing. leaked internally upon installation. they both are going back to where they came from. aggrevating.

The slaves on these cars really suck. The second to last time I dropped my engine in, I got it 100% ready, went to bleed the clutch and go for a spin, poof. All my fluid on the ground. I took the whole engine out again and put in a slave with 180k from a trans I got from a junkyard and it has proved to be one of my better slaves. Gotta love these cars sometimes.

Basically from what I've read from posts back in 2005, some dude named Stazi along with a few other people were able to do the project fairly easily by following the method of "No need to remove the subframe!! Leave the 2 bolts in the pass. side. They should be the first to be removed and then reinstall giving them about 4-5 turns. Then completely remove the driver side nuts and let it hang down. Don't have to mess with all the stuff attached to the SF." I jut wanted to know if anyone more recently has done it this way. We have the knowledge and experience just never had the inconvenience of having to do it in such a way.

Dang, I wish I had seen this before I got started! Dropping the subframe sucks. :(

Back