• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Started project free SVT today....

Mike an I made a lot of progress last night stripping the new car. The H&Rs had only 1k miles on them and it's obvious, they're brand new. The trans fluid was beautiful at 7k miles. All of the car's wiring is junk as it was BADLY hacked up for install of an alarm and Apexi(that was cut off before sale)...the wiring job is just atrocious, zip ties and electrical tape galore, and wires run behind the splash shields with no other methods of securing them to the body. 5 pieces of wire butt-connected together to make a 10 foot section....seriously. :nonono:. The engine harness is junk not only from the splicing but also the fact part of the harness was cut off entirely to remove MIL eliminators...didn't even know they were gone until i started tearing into the car. Had i purchased this car as a driver, it would be returned based on the wiring alone.

Also, I don't see it mentioned that Josh found it had a non-SVT radiator. A lot of this stuff you just can't see when you're buying a car, or you don't think to look for it. Buyer beware.

Also, I don't see it mentioned that Josh found it had a non-SVT radiator. A lot of this stuff you just can't see when you're buying a car, or you don't think to look for it. Buyer beware.

Forgot to mention that, was really excited to have a spare SVT rad, then set it next to the one out of my race car and it's 1/2" thinner....that's a kick in the pants.

Forgot to mention that, was really excited to have a spare SVT rad, then set it next to the one out of my race car and it's 1/2" thinner....that's a kick in the pants.

How could you do that to a car like that.... :nonono: makes me sad..

any updates?

The only updates at the moment are:

Parts car is completely stripped and I've got a lot of parts waiting for both of my projects.

BLKOUT2 is getting returned to stock intakes and getting new plugs so it's drivable for a couple weeks while i work on the Festiva.

Once BLKOUT2 is back on the road, the Festiva is getting gutted and re-built, hopefully in about two weeks time start to finish.

Then I'm hoping to have another set of Koni's on order for my H&Rs, and have my stock rear subframe and swaybar powder coated, and BLKOUT2 will be a gentle beast again.

BLKOUT2's suspension will go under the race car and it'll be on the ground once again.

I'm hoping to get this all finished in September then late Sept, early Oct Mikes car goes under the knife, somewhere in there I'm going to epoxy coat the shop floor to solve a water-seepage problem we're having...storing cars over saturated concrete isn't a good thing.

Last edited:
hey josh how low are you planning on going with the race car? if its any more than about an inch lower than stock you may want to look into getting some roll center adjusters made up. just a block of billet mounted between the ball joint and LCA about 2-3" thick works great. this will push your LCA back down raising the roll center bringing it closer to the center of gravity. this shorter roll couple will then give you a better balanced car with less body roll. im not sure how to modify the rears for the same thing but the closer you canget the roll center to the center f gravity the better.

just a thought :D

if its any more than about an inch lower than stock

It's going to be way beyond an inch lower than stock...thanks for the input, I've got most everything figured out for the car already, just need to get it on paper and start the lathe and mill work....

wait, back this **** up, are you resurrecting BLKOUT or did i miss something?

Just missed the 2, my bad....i do have intension's to re-build BLKOUT some day, but I've got too much going on as it is.

Last edited:
if you do get some roll center adjusters/spacers made up send me a PM as i would like a set as well (as long as they are not wicked expensive).

if not then i guess i will have to look for a good machine shop locally to make some.

The plan for tonight is to finish the Mirko skid plate CAD model tonight, then it's off to the shop, i'm going to get the new motor on the stand and swap on a new oil pan(there's a hole punched in it from the accident) and pull the return less LIM and injectors since i have no use for them, also taking off the wiring harness. From there the motor will be put into a crate and set in the back of the shop for a "just in case" motor, if anything ever happens to any of the SVTs i've got a 56k mile motor ready to drop in at a moments notice.

Once that's done, the parts motor will be back on the stand and the entire top end will be assembled, once i repair the pan off of the 56k motor, I'll be bolting it on and the engine will be ready to install and test-fire.

The main goal of the parts motor now, is to verify it's good....if it proves to run fine after a couple hours of run time, it will be removed and the timing equipment and intakes will be removed and I'm going to try and trade it straight up for a 3L to put back in....if i can at least sell the short block+heads for $300, theres enough money in the fund right now to pay for a 3L. :cool:

Spec stage 3 clutch and Flywheel are sitting on the bench along with the headers and Magnacores, i'm hoping to get BLKOUT2 on the road tonight, I'm swapping the Intakes and TB out for stockers for the time being as i work on getting it back to tolerable, also swapping in new plugs while i'm in there.

sounds like you know what you want! Good stuff man. I cant wait to see this thing once you get going on it at full speed!

Once the work on my two drivers are done, and Hetfields trans is swapped i'll be hitting the race car full force. Hopefully it's on the ground by October, I've got to buy 3 new Koni's for BLKOUT2 and i can swap the suspension out and into the race car, then i just have to drop an engine and trans into it and plug the wiring back in so i can start reducing how much of it there is and develop the cars new wiring harness.

I'm excited to work on everything but that wiring. I still think it's going to be a *****. Wait, can I call wiring a *****? Mikey, help me out here...

idk if you can call wiring a ***** but you can call josh a ***** for making you help him on the wiring :D:laugh:

Back