• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The start of a long journey to my 3L swap

I guess I was not thinking about tolerances. My bad. I got lucking on mine and it measure perfect with the stock shim - according to the CD and the dial gauge I have.

So the moral of the story is: measure and shim accordingly with all diffs.

I ended taring apart the trans the other night and finally put it back together with new shift forks, seals, bearing and the torsen. to my surprise there was almost no ware it looked almost new when i cleaned it up and that was after 180k miles, but it did have royal purple since new.

Regarding shims and "exact fit", read this from the old forums.

I figured it was common knowledge (by now) that both diffs need to be shimmed- anyway, it's good info to have this info at hand on the new forums.

Not exactly correct. Both should be CHECKED to see if they need to be shimmed but the Torsens have in many cases not required any shims over what the stock diff already had.

the swap is finally done(or at least i hope its done) heres the thing i did the full throttle 2 times to get oil going then did no to slight throttle with no coil to get the gas primed then tried starting it normally and then my batt died on me... i just hope it will start today

finally got the car running tonight but its running very rough at an idle (below 750) but seems to run ok at a grand

finally got it running perfect the idle air control was unplugged ill have to post some pics later this week.

Image008.jpg

Image010.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image022.jpg

Good luck just don't make my mistake make sure you have a engine tilter. I ended up buying one to put the engine back in and it really wasn't that hard of a swap. Also, make sure the pulse wheel is on right.

Back