• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

why am I getting terrible gas mileage?

was that before I checked the spark plug gap at gregs or where they changed after?

did you ever get the stalling issue corrected?
Could this stalling issue have something to do with it?

It could be plugs and wires, just because they were recently replaced doesn't mean they aren't the problem. This could actually be the reason, if say there was a bad connection when reinstalled that has now ruined one of the plug wires. You should check the resistance on the wires etc. to rule this out.

Could this stalling issue have something to do with it?

It could be plugs and wires, just because they were recently replaced doesn't mean they aren't the problem. This could actually be the reason, if say there was a bad connection when reinstalled that has now ruined one of the plug wires. You should check the resistance on the wires etc. to rule this out.

maybe. but I personally checked the gap and re-installed the plug wires after checking the gap.

the car only stalls in reverse, but recently it has eased up on doing that. i have multiple issues with my car and i'm starting to think they are all effecting each other. i also just discovered that i have exhaust leak as well.

My guess is that your poor gas mileage is from hauling around a deadbeat boyfriend. lol

seriouly though I would def. check/change air filter and check tire pressures.

Has the fuel filter been changed? It's a $12 part and takes 10 minutes. If it's original there may lie your issue.

I talked to Lindsey today, apparently her rear brakes are dragging, my assumption: when someone did her drum brakes they didn't reinstall the self adjustment properly, and its overly tightening the brakes causing dragging.

I talked to Lindsey today, apparently her rear brakes are dragging, my assumption: when someone did her drum brakes they didn't reinstall the self adjustment properly, and its overly tightening the brakes causing dragging.

They are BARELY dragging, though. I heard it first hand and it is a consistent, once-per-revolution slight drag that slows down the wheel a small bit, although barely noticeable, and as it has been said, this is often normal. I suppose I can re-adjust the rear shoes so they don't drag, though...

If the rear brake(s) were dragging then the offending wheel(s) would usually be really hot and also smell from the excessive friction/heat caused by dragging. Since there hasn't been any complaints since the brakes were replaced (quite a few months ago) I would rule out the brakes causing any problems with gas mileage.

Back