• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Grade

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Ford tuned these vehicle to operate on 91 octane. Honestly unless you have a way to increase your timing I doubt you will notice a difference between 93 & 94 octane fuel. Now you may not notice a difference between 87 & 93 but the vehicle will most likely suffer from detonation with a load put on the vehicle. :shrug:

That is where I fill up my Cobra for race day. I bumped timing up to 23 degrees at WOT and she loves the good stuff. I'm in the northside in Fishers. You ever go to Suds on the weekends?

Yeah bout every other weekend, but don't generally stay for long. Say hi is you see me 2000 CSVT Tred & tan. I've never seen another CSVT there before? Bring your CSVT to the suds this Sat. There's no 1 on this forum in the metro Indy area.

I'm almost 100% positive the owners manual says 92 or higher.

The o.m. says 91 to 93... I see a difference from 91 387 miles per tank to 92 398 miles per tank and 93 at 415 miles per tank with real city driving ( that's stoplight to stopped car and around them with aggrivation.) I driven till I was dead out of gas to prove to myself the readings are real. I travel with a gallon of gas in the trunk in a gas can. Here in MN we can have as much as 20% ethanol in any fill up. Only one gas station I know of on Lake st has 100% gas. 92 octane, got me 433 mile that tank. Gas doping has helped when I buy the lower grades...

In Texas I've seen 85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93 and 95 at the pumps depending on where you are in the state. 87,89,91 and 93 are the most common though but I did get stuck in a town in my turbo mazda where "premium" was 90 so I put a little in and filled up in the next town with 93.

Around home I don't have anywhere that has more than 91 so I fill with that. When I'm at school I've got sunoco close by to once in a while I drop by and put some 94 in the car. I've never run anything less than premium in the car and so far I've got nothing to complain about although I swear close to redline the engine's smoother when I'm using only 94 in the tank... but it could just be a placebo effect :laugh:

Yeah bout every other weekend, but don't generally stay for long. Say hi is you see me 2000 CSVT Tred & tan. I've never seen another CSVT there before? Bring your CSVT to the suds this Sat. There's no 1 on this forum in the metro Indy area.

I'm almost 100% positive the owners manual says 92 or higher.
I just bought mine last month and got it running yesterday. I have a few bugs to work out still but it at least moves under it own power. I did see another black CSVT on the NS a couple weeks ago.

All gases are pretty much the same....your talking about a miniscual amounts of difference between one product to another.

After a survey of 9,300+ gas stations..all of the test samples tested higher then regualr standards. The only difference is some companies add more detergents over the next company :shrug:

They also tested no name gas stations too. :shrug:

im proud of myself, ive been running premium and not worrying about it :) svt's only live once.. ya heard?!

The o.m. says 91 to 93... I see a difference from 91 387 miles per tank to 92 398 miles per tank and 93 at 415 miles per tank with real city driving ( that's stoplight to stopped car and around them with aggrivation.) I driven till I was dead out of gas to prove to myself the readings are real. I travel with a gallon of gas in the trunk in a gas can. Here in MN we can have as much as 20% ethanol in any fill up. Only one gas station I know of on Lake st has 100% gas. 92 octane, got me 433 mile that tank. Gas doping has helped when I buy the lower grades...

ok...i am confused by this. the most i have ever gotten off of one full tank till 30 miles on the "E" was 330. when i filled my tank back up and did the math it was 28.XXmiles per gallon. so how do you get from 387 to 415 miles on a tank?

well swapping a 3L makes it badass in my eyes...and i'm glad you're running premium because i've heard, take it or leave it, that there is a fairy that pours magical dust (or sand) in your gas tank if you don't run premium on your svt...just what i've heard

OK. I put a few thousand miles on my car this last week and a half. I decided to put the fuel milage to the test. I had a regular 87 octane tune and a 91 octane tune from NPG. Through varying altitudes and nearly all highway driving I changed the type of gas I was using after every 2 tankfuls of gas. Temperature remained fairly constant, although there were some days when it was cold and raining. However I think the differences should be negligable since I had a wide range of test samples. I used no gasoline mixed with ethanol during testing, although twice I had someone take my car to fill it up while I was driving a semi to transport some equipment, and another time while I was in a company pickup. They drove behind me, so I believe that their driving wouldnt have been very different from how I drive when I am not screwing around.

Average fuel economy using 87 octane gasoline.... 26.7 MPG
Best fuel economy using 87 octane gasoline.... 27.5

Average fuel economy using 91 octane premium gasoline 30.3
Best fuel economy using 91 octane premium gasoline 32.9:shocked:

Two tanks using 89 octane 10% mixed ethanol one 23.8 mpg and 24.1 mpg.... and to think, the corn growers want us to think this stuff is so great. Although I did use biodiesel in the company pickup because I ran across a couple stations selling it, and I honestly couldnt tell the difference between it an #2 diesel. Milage was the same too.

any imput on the miles per tank posted earlier...i would like to know a little info on that.

I usually put between 230 and 300 between fills. I dont have my paper I wrote all my miles and gallons on. All my receipts are already turned in. Im using a performance tune on a modified car, so they dont accurately reflect an SVTs milage, however the differences between the tunes I believe were just a small change in timing between the 87 octane program and 91 octane program.

ok. thats about what i get too but dubsac2 said he gets between 387 and 415miles on a tank...unless he is driving a car other than a contour?:shrug:

Back