• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rwd contour svt

drivebymashing said:
you guys are just like the guys on rangerpowersports.com
every one said a 4.6 wont fit in a ranger 2 guys did it one in a 99
and one in a 85 open mouth insert foot

What is an 85 open mouth?

:crazy:

I actually know the guy who did it.

At least I think it's the guy you're talking about (Joe Liberto from NJ?) I went to high school with him.

As far as the open mouth 85 thing, I have no clue. All I know is it was a single cab 85 ranger 5-speed. From what I hear he had some real drivetrain issues, putting all that power through the tranny, shaft, and rear that was designed for a little 4 cylinder. I believe he ended up switching the tranny too because he blew the original.

Forget about the RWD thing. Mustangs, Crown Vics, T-Birds, etc. have solid frames unlike the unibody contour. That kind of power to the rear wheels would twist and compress the car in ways you don't want to imagine.

Well unless someone would like to make some sort of tube chassis all the way around..lol.I can only imagine who would want to go threw that kind of fab work.

I can only imagine who would want to go threw that kind of fab work.

yeah, who would be interested in somehting like that??? Oh i know, maybe a company specializing in custom suspension and chassis fabrication.....now if i could only find a company like that......

Theres a company out there that will do it.Just have to find them.Oh yeah make sure you bring your check book.Who ever does attement to do anything like this.GOOD LUCK.Ok im done now.

Theres a company out there that will do it.Just have to find them.Oh yeah make sure you bring your check book.Who ever does attement to do anything like this.GOOD LUCK.Ok im done now.

I think i know a guy that's into chassis fab......works for cheap too

Yeah..We should give a donor car first..Let him get somthing going then we can do a group buy we'll call it..302CI in your contour?.We will sell tons of the kits.lol.

I hear he's got a silver SVT in his garage along with two others he likes to tinker with.

~Josh

Last edited:
If you have the money to put a 4.0 and make a 'tour RWD... why you don't buy a Mustang Saleen 2000, or a GTO 2007??? Im sure that will be more cheaper and easier than transform a 'tour into a RWD :rolleyes:.

If you still want to do it after all the posts in this thread... can you give me your FWD tranny? LOL:cool:

Forget about the RWD thing. Mustangs, Crown Vics, T-Birds, etc. have solid frames unlike the unibody contour. That kind of power to the rear wheels would twist and compress the car in ways you don't want to imagine.

huh? check again on that....

Sorry, yes, mustangs are unibody, you're right (Crown Vics and the other Panther platform cars are not). Of course, Mustangs are reinforced in such a way to handle that force to the rear axle. Contours simply are not, the rear subframes break just from using stiff sway bars. Forget about mounting an axle.

Sorry, yes, mustangs are unibody, you're right (Crown Vics and the other Panther platform cars are not). Of course, Mustangs are reinforced in such a way to handle that force to the rear axle. Contours simply are not, the rear subframes break just from using stiff sway bars. Forget about mounting an axle.

Actually, the "subframes" don't break they are very beefy, its the tiny little tab that spot welded on to hold the sway bar in place that breaks, and with proper welding even that goes away.

a rwd contour would be fun, but not worth it. might as well drop awd while your at it. make it a life goal.

how much

how much

how much money does it take a 3l contour svt to get to 300hp and 300tq
i guarantee a 4.6 rwd swap would be cheaper
plus fwds suck....

Back