• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The start of a long journey to my 3L swap

joelechten

CEG'er
Next week i leave for fl to pick up a low millage 3L while on vacation. Btw how much does a full engine weigh? Then on my way back to Detroit i have to pick up my brothers svt with a dead engine in Louisville. After that i have a few weeks to put it together before shipping it back down there to him. I will most likely be asking many questions seeing i have never done a ohc engine, have done lots of ford and chevy sb and bb but never this. Though atleast i was smart enough to get the ford 96-99 dvd manual.

Joe

350 odd pounds.

A friend and I lifted one out of the back of my escape on two different occasions, and into a molester style van one other time.

Problem is finding handholds if you dont use a cherrypicker

I'm going to end up crating it up at the junk yard and putting it in the back of my excursion which should be some fun.

ok well after thinking everything over I'm trying to come up with the most cost effective/ power effective way to do this swap. I know I'm going to use the 3L heads and port them to the svt intake now should i spend the money and get newer svt cams(the ones in the car have 170K) and a timing set which is why this swap is being done in the 1st place or should i stick with the stock sable cams and 18k mile timing chain. Also should i spend the money on msds headers or are there any other headers.

I found a set of weapon r headers for $410 for the cougar are those worth the money and will they work or are the msds the better way to go?

and almost twice the price for WR's at ~400... vs $200 for MSDS (bare, not coated)

and almost twice the price for WR's at ~400... vs $200 for MSDS (bare, not coated)

WR would be worth it since you're in SEMI, I would think - if they come with a Y pipe.

You'd have to get the coating on the MSDS headers if you wanted them to last, and that brings the price up closer to the WR cost. Only thing is, be sure to get the WR Y pipe that came with the headers originally. There have been fitment issues and variance in manufacturing at WR. Sometimes a stock Y will work fine, sometimes you stress the headers and/or Y to make them fit & cause headaches.

The EGR tube fitment problem is easily solved with a brass compression fitting from Home Depot. There are many posts on it.

Actually the EGR tube was made for an 01-02 Cougar so if you pick up an 01-02 Cougar EGR pipe from the dealer (~$20) it bolts up without any modifications. The WR test car was an 01 Cougar so it's all based off that.

Just ended up picking up the engine today in fl and will most likely be ordering the msds headers when i get back to michigan. Now off to pick up the car on sat in ky.

Just got home last night with the car and engine and now its time to start the swap. I now have to find time to do it since i have to look for a new job now because last Monday my boss decided to fire me while i was on vacation and just told me this morning. Well off to look for a job.

Actually the EGR tube was made for an 01-02 Cougar so if you pick up an 01-02 Cougar EGR pipe from the dealer (~$20) it bolts up without any modifications. The WR test car was an 01 Cougar so it's all based off that.

ChattavegasSE tried that, and a couple other EGR tubes from the dealer. None fit. Based on that info & a pair of installs I was witness to, it is my suspicion that inconsistancies in the position of the threaded nipple on the header cause the fitment issues. Cheapest, easiest, quickest way to get it together is the brass compression fitting.

Back