• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's the rarest paint color for a Contour?

I'd say Coral Mist but just a guess. That or a T Green SVT. Only seen 1 or 2 in CM.

standard.jpg

Canary yellow, not even sure if thats what it is called, only saw one and that was 3 years ago.

And no, not talking about the SVT contour race cars either, this was a plain jane contour GL I saw.

Quick google search gave me a few hits and that color is very similar to the Contour I saw a few years ago.

On Mustang:
12057d1130968494-installation-instructions-for-hood-pins-dsc02964.jpg

I'm sure it was a cool color name at the time it was thought of. :shrug:

And if you want to take it out of context, wheres the frost on Silver Frost SVTs or the tropic in Tropic Green SVTs? :laugh:

Chrome yellow is a color used by the military on the wings of aircraft prior to WWII. Like zinc white or cobalt blue chrome yellow has the element chrome as part of its pigment. You can find it at a hobby store in the paint rack today.

Seriously dude. I can't get over that. WHAT COLOR IS THAT!?

I think "chrome" comes from the greek or latin word for color. Do you know what the official name is for the color of school buses? it's "National School Bus Chrome".

============================= = ========================

History of Chrome yellow: [SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

x.gif

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1]A painted swatch of Chrome yellow:
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
chromeyellow.jpg
[/SIZE]

In 1797 a Parisian chemist, Louis Nicholas Vauquelin isolated natural lead chromate (chrocoite) and called it chrome because of the range of hues that could be derived from it. He named it after the Greek word xpwua, meaning color. The preparation of chromates of lead, specifically chrome yellow was published by Vauquelin in the Annales de Chimie IXX in 1809.
The chrome colors were in use by 1816 but on a limited basis. In 1820, a substantial source of chrome ore was found in North America and large scale production began, j. J. White of Rutherglen, Scotland is known to have produced chrome colors that year. Their excellent hiding power and low cost made them a welcomed alternative to Turner's Patent yellow and orpiment. Chrome yellow cost one shilling per watercolor cake in 1835.Chrome pigments were fast drying in oil and more permanent in oil than in watercolor. The darker shades were more permanent than the lighter ones that tended to fade when exposed to sunlight. The darker shades were known to brown over time). All chrome colors were blackened by sulfur-bearing air and the yellow variety sometimes would turn green when mixed with organic pigments[/SIZE]

I'd say Coral Mist but just a guess. That or a T Green SVT. Only seen 1 or 2 in CM...

I was thinking, "Mine!" as there were only ever 710 tropic green SVTs in the world, 203 of them produced in my year. However, I believe tropic green was not solely confined to SVTs, so it's not that rare in overall terms.

Good call on the coral mist -- I remember those vividly. Do you recall the salmon and pale orange Probes?

I'm sure it was a cool color name at the time it was thought of. :shrug:

And if you want to take it out of context, wheres the frost on Silver Frost SVTs or the tropic in Tropic Green SVTs? :laugh:

I find the tropic green to be quite tropical. It's a good deal brighter than the deep emerald green my '94 SHO was finished in, and without the blue undertones. It's got an electricity to it, and isn't too far off from a palm frond, which is quintessentially tropical. :cool:

Back