• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Securing Jackpoint covers

Well I was lucky enough to get a parts car that had all 4 jackpoint covers and mine had a whopping goose egg when I saved her from a guy who never maintained her. But thats another story. I was wondering a way to secure them really good so I dont loose them, I dont know where I would find more. They lock in of corse into the tabs but if I can pull it off with my hands I dont know how much to trust them at highway speed. I have a 40 mile commute everyday and its all back roads so if one comes loose im up the creek without a paddle. It would have to be temporary of corse so I could use the jackpoints. I was thinking just a layer to tape one the backside but I dont want to be that guy. Any help would rock guys

The covers have a plastic arrow shaped contraption that is attatched to them one arrow goes through the cover and the other inside the side skirt. If the covers dont have this piece then Im not sure what you can do except check them every few days to make sure they are secure.

The covers have a plastic arrow shaped contraption that is attatched to them one arrow goes through the cover and the other inside the side skirt. If the covers dont have this piece then Im not sure what you can do except check them every few days to make sure they are secure.

Using wire ties will do the same thing for you. :)

I was going to say just drill a hole in the backside of the cover and ziptie it to the car - it won't hurt the cover at all...

You are probably just being paranoid. Since I bought my car in 2003, I haven't used a single one of the original secure ties. I bought a new jack point cover to replace one with a broken clip, and same deal. I just never connected it. Even with the old jack point cover hanging in the front of the skirt, it never came off by itself.

If you mount them correctly, they won't budge. Clip the rear of the cover in first, then push the front in to lock. To remove, push the front in and pull down to unclip the back.

If they come out any other way, they are probably not on there correctly.

agree with the above, make sure they are installed correctly.

on mine in addition to the stock strap that retain the covers to teh side skirt and added zipties as a back up. however they do clip in really well if done right.

I have seen someone who used a thin peice of plastic and mounted it on a screw to the bottom of the side skirt. the plastic piece that rotates under the jack point cover to help retain it.

you could use a small joining piece of plactic on the back side and screw them in.

if you want to go with a tether route, just get some normal auto wire, some o-ring terminals, screw one end to the cover and one to the side skirt, so if it ever falls out, it's tethered to the car.

You are probably just being paranoid. Since I bought my car in 2003, I haven't used a single one of the original secure ties. I bought a new jack point cover to replace one with a broken clip, and same deal. I just never connected it. Even with the old jack point cover hanging in the front of the skirt, it never came off by itself.

If you mount them correctly, they won't budge. Clip the rear of the cover in first, then push the front in to lock. To remove, push the front in and pull down to unclip the back.

If they come out any other way, they are probably not on there correctly.
I kinda thought the same thing till a couple days ago. I only have one NOT on a tether and it fell off the right rear as I pulled in my driveway and ran it over.

Naujcdl has little pieces of wood pushed down towards the bottom of each cover on the inside secured with dbl sided tape to help push them out and make them tighter, they are also tethered with the auto wire that was mentioned before. The previous owner had done it. I don't think either of us have pics of this, but perhaps in a couple months when we swap back to the summer tires we can snap some.

Never had a problem with one coming loose but I did add some blue painters tape to the back side and bottom of the skirt just in case they popped out and the retaining wire was broken or something.

I guess ill just put some tape on the backside, only I will know its there. I jut feel wierd putting tape on my car

I've always liked the idea of putting a spring inside the covers themselves, to provide extra resistance and keep them in the holes of the skirt. Though I haven't done it, I like the idea. :cool:

i've duct taped them.. zip tied them.. super glued them.

they never look right, that's why they're being molded in :laugh:

I remember the first time I removed one of the jack point covers on my SVT. It was about half-full with sand and dirt.

I'm thinking that's what causes these things to fall off. They aren't designed to hold any weight.

To prevent future buildups, I drilled two 3/16" holes in the bottom of each cover. Have had very little or no build up since then.

I also double-check the fit whenever I fill the tank, the tires, or do any other maintenance.

It's easy insurance!

I've always liked the idea of putting a spring inside the covers themselves, to provide extra resistance and keep them in the holes of the skirt. Though I haven't done it, I like the idea. :cool:
this past weekend i took some of the dense, springy foam that they use to support computer cases, battery backups, etc. with and put some in the jack point covers. i just cut a narrow strip if it wide enough to put pressure on both sides of the cover and stuffed it in. this particular foam is good as it wont absorb water or deteriorate, it also soft and spongy enough that you can squeeze it to get the covers in place but will always try to return to its original shape, pushing the sides apart. ill try to remember to get a picture of one of the covers with the foam in it.

Pics

SSPX0327.jpg

SSPX0328.jpg

Great idea!! I will definitely be copying this soon. I plan to fill the complete width of the cover.

Keeps the dirt from accumulating and gives extra pressure for the clips to hold in tight.

this past weekend i took some of the dense, springy foam that they use to support computer cases, battery backups, etc. with and put some in the jack point covers.

Great idea. I'd be concerned about water buildup. Now you've added more capacity in the foam. I live in the Northwest, where water buildup is a big concern!

I'd recommend drilling the drain holes in the bottom-most edge.

Back