• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Crashed the subaru

i was going to say something earlier this morning but I wasn't sure what to exactly say.

glad your ok for one. and as others have said there is nothing negative to be said. Its just bad luck.

I was thinking the same thing as Roger, maybe go get a different one, although I know how much you like it .....

Holy crap, I'm so sorry to hear about the car Matty, but glad to hear you're ok. Good luck with the repairs and stay safe out there...damn geese.

Matt, that car's cursed! Did you pick up any little Tiki idols lately?

Glad you're OK, but, that sucks about the car. Hopefully the repairs are as seamless as the last ones!

SOAB :(

Sorry to see, Matt. Hopefully you can get that fixed up soon. I think I'll be heading to the clam meet, so I will likely see you then :cool:

Did you pick up any little Tiki idols lately?
Incidentally, yes. A friend of mine brought me a souvenir from his trip to Hawaii.

I have many more pictures of the damage in detail, taken courtesy of the bodyshop manager.
They are all located at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mjgiro/Accident2/

I am told that the engine runs, which is good news. It is encouraging to hear that the car is more easily repairable than I had originally anticipated. Still, the initial estimate is $9K+.

This car has twice saved my life at highway speeds. Additionally, the car is extraordinarily well-engineered. Twice now, and at different points of impact, the energy transfer has been retained to specific zones, which have made the repairs straightforward, if not inexpensive. I would recommend the '05-'09 Subaru Legacy to anyone for these reasons alone.

I do not deny that my life would have been made easier if the car was simply totaled. However, I plan to continue owning, and enjoying, the Legacy GT for the time being. I am (not without reason) a bit apprehensive about the idea of driving this car again, so we will see how comfortable I am after it is repaired.

Thank you, everyone, for your support. This is why I love CEG. You guys rock. :cool:

Ahhhh :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Yeeeahhhhh Soooo

Wow Matt...

Ahh yeahhhh

I'm friggin speechless

First they bring down a plane, now there trying to commit Hari Kari with your Subie?

Sell the Subie

^Yes, it is!

Matt, I am so sorry. :( I am very happy to hear that you are OK!
That Suby did it's job again, thankfully.

that's kinda creepy :eek:

Dude... and I was only joking about that. WTF?

Matt, looked at the Picasa album... no airbag deployment from that? I'd expect that to be enough of an impact?

I can't say I blame you about not being comfortable driving it. If I didn't know better, I'd say that car was out to get you. Maybe the SVT got jealous and put a voodoo curse on you or something.

Sheesh. I'm really, really sorry to hear and see this, Matt.

Sorry to hear about the car.

I know it doesn't help, and has been said before. Your ok, which is most important thing, and no one else was hurt. Except the stupid bird. ;)

Matt, looked at the Picasa album... no airbag deployment from that? I'd expect that to be enough of an impact?
I did too. The bodyshop told me:
"Please note, the airbags should not have deployed, this hit was high on the vehicle, meaning the sheet metal absorbed the energy."

The primary reason the airbag deployed last time is because one airbag sensor (located on the support beam by the radiator) was literally destroyed. In this accident, those sensors were untouched because the point of impact was much higher on the vehicle. I did think that there was a sensor to detect a fast stop, but there are a multitude of reasons that it may not have been activated. I am assuming that the system was repaired properly and is in working order.

Thanks again everyone. :) I am very thankful that everyone was ok.

I was keeping quiet till I get the car back.
However, I've been regularly updating my photo album. Check it out for the car's current status. The bodyshop manager has been taking the pics for me, as with my travels to Boston it's hard to get over there.

The car is complete! Almost. One minor piece was backordered, the duct work for the hood scoop. I decided to wait and pick up the car when it is 100%, early next week.

I got some more pictures taken by the bodyshop. I will take many pics of the car in detail when I have it back.

All of the pictures of the work, in detail, are located on my album here.

before and after. It's hard to tell in these shots, but pretty much everything in front of the engine block was repaired or replaced. The pics in the album give better detail.

IMG_9942.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_9943.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome! :shocked:

I hope everything is lined up as it should. Have you gone completely over the repair work to see about this? I know you're pretty anal about that ;)

Actually, I haven't seen the car since Good Friday. Work has me owned right now, we have more projects than ever, at reduced staff. I was in Boston three times this week (leave at 6am, get home after 6pm :mad: ).

So right now, it's all based on trust. But the bodyshop has kept me regularly informed via email as to where the car is, what they're doing, and how far along it is .. with pictures. Very impressed at the customer service. :cool:

Back