• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Crashed the subaru

Matt, car looks great. It's nice to hear that you where treated well and she's back on the road again.

I picked up the car yesterday morning.

Upon returning to work, I saw a lot of steam coming out of passenger side of the engine bay. Thought it was spilled fluids, no big deal, since this also happened last time. However, after the drive home, when I parked I saw a ton of steam pouring out of the engine bay. Thought it was a coolant leak, as it appeared to be coming from the area of the upper radiator hose, but it was so thick it was hard to tell.

Stopped by the bodyshop this morning to investigate. They determined the power steering reservoir was overfilled, so as the engine heated up and steering fluid expanded, it spurted fluid all over the engine bay. They removed the excess, filled it to spec and cleaned the area. I'm checking the fluid levels when I turn off the car and they seem ok so far (the pics in the album are taken 1/2 hour after the engine was turned off).

I noticed this evening that there is some burnt fluid that they missed. With SZ on the way, and my Boston work travels increasing in frequency, it'll be easier for me to just clean it up myself when I have some time, maybe Friday evening or Saturday. If it eats the paint by that time, well, that's covered under the warranty. :shrug: There are still slight amounts of steam after I take longer highway drives (nowhere near the extent as yesterday's was), so I'm keeping a close eye and not going far in the car till I get this resolved.

DSC02696.JPG

DSC02697.JPG

Overall, the work was well done. The paint job is actually even better than it was last time, I see almost no defects (the sole flaw being impossible for any respray to accomplish, the edges of the panels are rough) and it looks great. The body panels line up well, you'd never know what trauma the car's been through. Mechanically, the engine runs great.

They did not replace the ashtray/gearshift trim, which I smashed with my right hand. But frankly I don't care, the broken tab is only noticeable if you push on the console.

There is a funny soft click that I hear somewhere, maybe in the dash, or maybe by my feet, so I need to figure out that. It occurs at random and doesn't seem engine-related. I might get the car aligned a second time when I swap out the snow tires after SZ. Otherwise the car drives well.

Lots of images and better detail shown on my online album.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mjgiro/Accident2/

DSC02683.JPG

DSC02685.JPG

DSC02678.JPG

Thank you guys. :) I appreciate your support.

The steaming has stopped for the most part, definitely keeping an eye on it though.
I have an appointment with my insurance company today to find out how much they hate me. :laugh:

Back