• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 SVT Contour Full 3L Install (the Beginning)

can I have a hug too?

img6841editedhz6.jpg

Shot at 2008-10-23

img6836editednt2.jpg

Shot at 2008-10-23

img6842editedje0.jpg

Shot at 2008-10-23

yeah, I've seen pud's engine. those valve covers are powder coated. I'm glad I have the black plastic ones, they're easy to maintain.

as you can tell, I'm not done with mine yet, hopefully it'll look that good when I'm done.

exhaust gaskets are re-usable..

BTW, your title says full 3 liter.... why did you buy bugzuki plates?

because I changed my mind after looking at the plastic intake and weighing the cost of the adapters etc I've decided to to do the ported 3L still deciding on whether or not to swap SVT cams I will definately be keeping the taurus oil pan. yeah my engine is pretty ugly with all the corrosion. I will work on that some... still not sure how much. definately glad to hear about the exhaust manifold gasket as that will save me some cash. it seams that I can get timing chains from AZ for the 2.5 HO which I'm assuming is what the SVTs have for $22 a peice so I may do the cam swap. Right now I'm planning on borrowing a pressure washer to hose down the engine compartment. and engine swap parts. we'll see if paint is in the budget.

Port work is done.

Port work is done.

title and pics say it all

30Duratecengine024.jpg

30Duratecengine025.jpg

well anyways more of the same glad it is over with. nothing like bending porting bits and having them jump out of the ports and fall out of die grinder. Up next Pulling the engine can't avoid it anylonger.:rolleyes:

WTF, are you talking about?!?

he used farking SOS pads to stopthe Al shavings from falling into the head... WTF, am i the only guy who knows steel wool drops a ton of STEEL debris?

shop rags would have done just fine

todras said:
I would not reuse exh. gaskets. Had them leak after reusing.

really? this is what I have...

img6850editedjg2.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-10-27

he used farking SOS pads to stopthe Al shavings from falling into the head... WTF, am i the only guy who knows steel wool drops a ton of STEEL debris?

shop rags would have done just fine

really? this is what I have...

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-10-27

Are you on a monitor from 1980~!>? Its a blue :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing rag in there with shavings caught in it!

Why didn't you put grease over the shop rags??? :confused:

The shop towels are ok by themselves but really wouldn't trust them soley. Pull the towels out when the motor is upsidedown and be careful and make sure all ports are super clean.

Todd - I got the same gaskets with my MSDS headers.

ahhhh, I thought it was blue sos pads with that blue soap... sorry.

the top gaskets are the standard fel-pro gaskets, but they are not laminated metal shim gaskets, they are the asbestose/foil type like you'd use for a small block chevy or something.

I've heard a lot of bad things about using them on these engines because of the coefficient of expansion between aluminum and steel. I bought them on parts america, and they arrived not being what i wanted. I'm debating on which set to use now.

Last edited:
Why didn't you put grease over the shop rags??? :confused:

I did use disc brake wheel bearing greese I made to smear all over the rag especially where it met the port walls hence why all the filings are stuck in there after vacuming.

The shop towels are ok by themselves but really wouldn't trust them soley. Pull the towels out when the motor is upsidedown and be careful and make sure all ports are super clean.

I was wondering how I would get them out without getting junk in the ports turning the engine upside is a good idea after I clean up the gasket surface I'll have to try that.

looks good :)

Thanks glad to be done with it. I borrowed my Fathers in laws die grinder and bits and he had a great one that made short work of it. still a pain though all the other bits were slow as h*** and the drill was slow too.

I did indeed use blue paper shop towels from AZ all my shop rags are dirty and I feared too large. there are still filings in there because of the wheel bearing grease being so sticky. and I did get the bits into the shop towels a bit

I managed to get the car in and start pulling it apart though didn't get very far.

noticed a couple things to fix though

IMRC linkage is unhooked for bank 2:eek: ( I read about a modified washer being crimped on it to fix it may do that or get the plastic clip from the dealer)
front roll restrictor is broken away from the bolts:mad:

I can definately tell some hack was in there before me the temp sensor wiring is hacked up. and their are bolts missing and stuff held together with mis matched fasteners.

I also noticed that the 04 3L calls for 5w20 oil and the 00 2.5L calls for 5w30 oil. I haven't read any discussions on this. I'm thinking I'll just use the 5w20 synthetic after the first 500 miles any opinions?

the top gaskets are the standard fel-pro gaskets, but they are not laminated metal shim gaskets, they are the asbestose/foil type like you'd use for a small block chevy or something.

I've heard a lot of bad things about using them on these engines because of the coefficient of expansion between aluminum and steel. I bought them on parts america, and they arrived not being what i wanted. I'm debating on which set to use now.

I've used those fel-pro's with good luck. I and apparently Todd as well have reused low mileage stock ones that looked very good and had a couple fail, 90% of the time they will be fine though. They are SUPPOSED to be replaced. As well as many other things that hack shops ignore and fail to replace even when called for.

so what would you do, use the fel-pro's?

I would. Never had a set fail. They can be reused as well. I believe I used them on my boosted 3L too. They are pretty good quality and you can almost guarentee they will be fine as compared to the 90% chance if you reuse stock OEM gaskets... go for the fel pro's!

Reebs

Back