• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

65mm mustang throttle body

I too am interested...anyone know the exact size of the intake pipe directly before the TB on the nautilus kit? 3"? That would be 76.199999 mm. (2.5" = 63.5mm) So, for a boosted tour you might want to go even bigger than 65mm?

Or would we need our intake manifolds to have a bigger inlet right after the TB for this to be useful?
Be careful with this idea though. You do not want a TB bigger then any of the piping/tubing/MAF before it. It then becomes an expansion area and will rob efficiency by reducing air speed of the intake charge. Be it a normally aspirated or boosted engine.

Also on this same thought when talking about a boosted engine, a "larger" intake tract will create more boost lag and create a greater pressure drop from/between the charging unit (turbo, super) to the cylinder chamber.

The ideal size is always a hair over the minimum required to not cause a restriction at the engine's maximum flow potential. However when taking flow dynamics into account you have to realize an intact tract is rarely just an ideal straight line.

Oh the write up is almost done. I need to add pictures and will post it.

I always over write things....just because i want to be very clear on what procedures should be taken.:cool:

So where you ever able to finish up the writeup? If so where was it posted as I did not see it in the Duratec How-to forum or in the Duratec Performance forum.

going over 65MM could hurt performance because of the size of the MAF
The MAF is 70mm... if a larger TB that's still 70mm or less, hurts your overall and/or peak power numbers, it's NOT because of the size of your MAF... in fact, I would say it's most likely a result of your other mods, (or lack thereof), or, perhaps even more likely, the douschebag working the dyno. :rolleyes:

Realistically, if you get a mustang throttle body you should have a bigger MAF
Gotta disagree here... especially since the factory 2.5L MAF has a larger ID, (70mm), than any workable Mustang TB. Even the 70mm TB's are only 70mm at the inlet. They have an inner taper, (to about 68mm I think), where the plate seals.

It will fit but the iac won't work on it. SicSe has a 70mm on his taurus split port. I'm hoping he can shed some light on this subject when he gets back on. I'd really like for him to do a how-to for an install of a 65mm or 70mm on the taurus UIM.
My IAC is remote-mouted and running through my EGR inlet. I made a plate to seal off the IAC ports on the top of the manifold where the vavle normally would be. I fabbed up a divider plate from 16g or 18g steel sheet, to seal the EGR gas flow path at the bottom, and IAC inlet at the top of the IM entrance. I used either the SE or SVT accelerator/cruise cable bracket flipped upside down and made a support bracket for added stability. I had to put a different end on my accelerator cable for it to properly actuate the throttle plate, (I changed the end of the cruise cable also, but can't remember if that was a necessity or not).

Anyway, the route I went would be a lot of work for the average Joe, and might not be doable at all for some. Using a 3L TB with built-in IAC path, would make life exponentially easier for anyone who doesn't have PLENTY of time & ability to fab stuff up... and isn't BENT on using a 70mm TB. :laugh:

I'm afraid I can't be much help as far as a picture how-to goes, but I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I'd really like to seem some dyno results of before and after. I put absolutely zero stock in someone's general impressions or "butt dyno." Give me real data.
I was hoping to be able to do this, but I did a lot of mix-n-matching of TB parts on my initial install so it never happened. However, this IS one of the many things I'm hoping to do in the future.

i have a 65mm mustang TB on my 05 taurus UIM.

i made a gasket with no holes in it and bolted it between the IAC and the UIM. so the IAC is intact and plugged in but it doesn't work. I don't recommend this, however. i think i'm going to have a stock 3L TB machined out to hold the 65mm's throttle plate. if there is enough material there between the two bearings, this could be a cheap way to upgrade, and any machine shop could do it in a matter of minutes for hardly any cost.

i have a 65mm mustang TB on my 05 taurus UIM.

i made a gasket with no holes in it and bolted it between the IAC and the UIM. so the IAC is intact and plugged in but it doesn't work. I don't recommend this, however. i think i'm going to have a stock 3L TB machined out to hold the 65mm's throttle plate. if there is enough material there between the two bearings, this could be a cheap way to upgrade, and any machine shop could do it in a matter of minutes for hardly any cost.

Wait....i have something in the works for this. You will retain the 65mm tb and use your iac at the same time. Design was done on autocad and it's getting made right now. :)

I'll do a group buy as soon as one of them is done and tested. :)

Does anyone have a part number for one of these throttle bodies? I tried to follow the link Jared posted but it's been a while and the link is dead.

right on harry i'm probably in on that but its not gonna cost a lot to see if i can machine out a stock 3L TB so i'll try it. i don't think there's enough material there to do it, so we'll see.

right on harry i'm probably in on that but its not gonna cost a lot to see if i can machine out a stock 3L TB so i'll try it. i don't think there's enough material there to do it, so we'll see.

There isn't unfortunately:blackeye:

I'll post pictures soon of it. :)

anything with a 4.6L should have one that works. i got mine off a crown vic. same as mustang, i had to build a throttle stop though.

anything with a 4.6L should have one that works. i got mine off a crown vic. same as mustang, i had to build a throttle stop though.

I had to do the same...i ended up building a few for other people.
I'll build you one eurotour if you end up picking up a crown vic one:shrug:

O and tricker..i will be posting my new IAC fix next week. I almost have it done. :) So anyone can mate a 65mm tb on a 3L uim with ease :)

I'd like to try this mod in my ST200.

But... I need the HowTo :laugh:
Harrry? :shrug:

I think the linkage is not a problem, but how the 65 mm TB fix to the UIM?
Holes are the same?

I'm not afraid of lack of power in midrange, as I'll tune her after mod.
I've heard, that non-svt (non-ST here in Europe) mondeo 2.5 and 3.0 have too small TB.
Optimize or change for bigger one + chip tune, and that's all. :D

Back