• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fastest Contour/Cougar

I know what you mean yeah. but seriously, I had to read through 5 or 6 pages of it while I was looking to see if anyone said what was in demons 3L.

I didnt realize it was actually that easy to push a 3L to the traction limits on these cars.
Briggs and Stratton makes engines that push the limits of this chassis:laugh:

noone makes upgraded axles?

What did he break? The CV joint or the shaft?

You know...i don't seem to remember. So i won't even guess :crazy:.

Sho-shop used to make stage 1,2,3 axles.....but it seemed stage 3 were just as strong as stage 2. :blackeye:

wow, 9 pages of B.S. SXT, good luck hitting 12's but most likely its not gonna happen. the no lag system is gonna give you too much power off the line and you're gonna do nothing but spin unless you put a 15" wide drag slick on the front, that that might even be pushing it. also dude, suck it up. I've leaned these guys will bust you're balls till you actually do something, so post some pics, but not too many or they'll bust you're balls for that too. lol. as much as i hate all the crap i've gotten on here, i still come back. i've cut back on starting posts and posting pics and talking crap. it doesnt get you anywhere.

Sho-shop used to make stage 1,2,3 axles.....but it seemed stage 3 were just as strong as stage 2. :blackeye:

i have upgraded axles on the silver car. i forget what they are. i think it was Beans that told me who made them. im thinking GCK? stage 2 iirc

i have upgraded axles on the silver car. i forget what they are. i think it was Beans that told me who made them. im thinking GCK? stage 2 iirc

I do know somebody else starting to produce upgraded axles for our cars....but it seems people haven't been talking about them as much lately.:shrug:

GCK aren't exactly stage II, but are a better quality replacment part DemonSVT sourced.... IIRC.

I'm ten grand deep into my car and not done. And I built my turbo kit for about 1/4 of the NPG kit.

More power to you for taking on your own project. I did a few years ago and loved my turbo 3L. But until you actually drive it with a decent tune, you have no idea how much of a weak link the axles are or how sloppy the front suspension is after you make over twice the power these cars were designed to handle.

No bashing at all. I honestly had no idea until I drove my car with a decent tune (drivability issues worked out to be as streetable as possible) and WOW a turbo duratec is wicked! If you're going to dump an ass load of money into your Contour, don't just focus on the powertrain. Custom LCA's w/ hiem joints, traction arms/bars, solid motor/trans/subframe mounts, maybe a stiffer spring rate in front, rolling the front fenders a bit w/ some playing around with spacers to accomidate some wider tires, SF connectors, seem welding the uni-body.......
These were my next mods that never saw the light of day, but it should give you an idea of what issues the car had with that amount of power.

CEG could use more DIY'ers, so don't get bent by my fellow members. Like they've said, tons of talk in these parts. Stay focused and let us see your car when you start to wrap 'er up. I'm sure if you run into problems, someone here has run into the same thing and we could help.

You mean Driveshaft Shop. ;) I wouldnt even bother getting their stage 1 axles. Their stage 2 should be stronger now. They are now made with 4340 chromoly instead of billet 1117. However, they no longer list axles for the Contour. I'm sure they could still make them if you asked them too though.

Last edited:
Guys I posted on NECO as well regarding the axles for our cars.

The weakest link in our axles is the driver side inner splines, there is no way to make this area stronger than it already is without extreme mods which is not even practical (you would need to enlarge the diameter of the splines which means larger splines on the diff and larger hole in the tranny case and then god knows which part will need to be upgraded next) I actually spoke to GCK engineers regarding upgraded axles for our platform but due to the nature of where the weakest link is its not really possible.
I ran the GCK axles myself and after a number of years and many visits to the track/street and autox's I broke one last year after my second run where i had too much wheel hop.
The GCK axles are made of forged metal, heat treated and cryo treated as well. They are pretty cheap and are 100% brand new.

If you are looking for a pair use coupon code "CEGSPECIAL" which will give you $30 off a pair from www.axlesforless.com (Coupon expires May 1st '09)

First time I really tried to launch this car, I snapped the drivers side axle at the knuckle. So, you are saying the splines that go into the tranny are the weakest part and not the knuckle?

First time I really tried to launch this car, I snapped the drivers side axle at the knuckle. So, you are saying the splines that go into the tranny are the weakest part and not the knuckle?

Yup, not the splines themselves but where the splines end at inner joint

wow, 9 pages of B.S. SXT, good luck hitting 12's but most likely its not gonna happen. the no lag system is gonna give you too much power off the line and you're gonna do nothing but spin unless you put a 15" wide drag slick on the front, that that might even be pushing it. also dude, suck it up. I've leaned these guys will bust you're balls till you actually do something, so post some pics, but not too many or they'll bust you're balls for that too. lol. as much as i hate all the crap i've gotten on here, i still come back. i've cut back on starting posts and posting pics and talking crap. it doesnt get you anywhere.

Antilag turbo setups are not for power off the line....that's what nitrous is for :shrug: and either way that would be pointless for this car.

Good luck with your project - there are some companies making very strong cv axles in the 4WD world - maybe we could see if they could make a limited run on Contour axles... I'm running GCK replacement axles and I've got AAA - soon as I adjust my shift cables and get some drag slicks I'll be at the track. Probably should tune it first... :crazy:

The drag turbo is a modified authentic Garrett by the way. Yes it is wet-float, but if you knew what the anti lag setup is you would know why I didn't go bb. I also swapped out the compressor for a larger one on that one.

The drag turbo is a modified authentic Garrett by the way. Yes it is wet-float, but if you knew what the anti lag setup is you would know why I didn't go bb. I also swapped out the compressor for a larger one on that one.

This should be a thrilling ride. Post your vid when you hit the track.

All this talk about turbos and antilag is really irrelevant. Whatever system you go with still will not fix the fact that this car has horrible traction. Thats why NA Contours with 220 whp are just as fast if not faster than FI Contours.

During SZ 06, I dynoed at 355 whp then drove immediately to the Osceola dragstrip where I ran a 14.8 @ 105. Mind you a really crappy track, but still. A couple weeks later, my brother took the car to US 131 which was a better prepped track and a ran a 14.1 @ 105. On the street, I wouldn't get traction until at least 3rd gear depending on which wheels I was running. If I had the 17" wheels on I wouldn't have full traction until 4th gear.

If you want 12s, slicks are a must and some rediculous axles. I think Prodigy SVT bought some custom Stage 5 axles from Drive Shaft Shop. I think even with his sponsorship, they still were around $1200. Of course, for those that don't know, the shop that was doing all his work got tired of his BS and piled his engine, trans, axles, suspension, etc in his trunk and said your one your own!

I think your other option is an electronic boost controller which will allow you to control boost by RPM or gear. The apexi AVCR will do this for you, but the installation was a nightmare, especially since the instructions were in chinese. I never could get mine to work and just gave up on it. This is probably the route I would go if you could figure it out.

Slicks are a given and gearing is being changed. Part of the reason there are traction problems is the gearing is totally wrong for the powerband.

Back