• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

If i were to sell everything...

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
...what do you think it'd be worth? :confused:

I'm wondering if i could pull 9k out of my 3 SVT projects.....

I'm 100% burned out and i want out. Pretty badly.

Last edited:
If you got the track car running with the 3L and had atleast a seat, steering wheel, and rims/tires on it. Sell all your parts too. I think you could be into the 10K range... Figure 3k a piece about, AND all your extra SVT parts. Might take a little time to sell them, but sure.

You are already going to make another $45 for that mount I need :D

Is that silver beemer glaring at you every time you drive by it..... ? :)

How is the t-red comming along?

Is that silver beemer glaring at you every time you drive by it..... ? :)

How is the t-red comming along?

I'm driving the t-red right now. it's been a long journey and before i go any further i decided to just try and enjoy the car for a while.

If i finished the track car it'd be what i kept to enjoy. I've been selling off a lot of what i have simply because i don't have the passion i used to. Constant problems and other crap has ruined it for me....

Keep what you need for the Tred and sell everything else. You just need some time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.:shrug:

Keep what you need for the Tred and sell everything else. You just need some time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.:shrug:

That's exactly it. I haven't actually enjoyed driving my cars in nearly 2 years. It used to be my "happy place". The past few years have just killed the love for me and i need some serious time off.

Focus on getting one running and just enjoy it for a while. My car has been undriveable since last August, and it was really starting to get to me and I thought about going on to the Mustangs, but one sit in the seat of the SVT brought it all back to me. It was tough with the 3L swap, but me and my dad soldiered through it and to hear it fire was music to my ears. I hope you don't get out of the hobby, you've done alot for this group and it would be a shame really. Whatever you choose, best of luck :cool:

I think you need to have one SVT, with a 3L and built trans. Thats it. Sell everything else off and just enjoy the car.
Put the 3L in the t-red, and part with the rest.
You will make a few $k and have a fun DD with no car payment. Then start saving for another car you might have your eye on.

The track car and my other project are "fun" projects, no time line(anymore) work on it when i can enjoyable projects. Trying to get together a nice DD is my main falling point right now. I really want to do all the work to the T-red, but I'm now nowhere near my goal of an inexpensive reliable rebuild because the car is as bad as I've discovered it to be. I look at what i all have left to do and i just don't feel like i have the heart to do it anymore add to it the fact the motor might be shot and I'm in no mood...

I'm thinking theres going to be a few new classified posts soon as i start really liquidating some of my shiz...

All i want is for it to be fun again.

Last edited:
ya josh, it is probably time to start parting out some of your collection. You've overloaded yourself on one thing.

Take a few months off, enjoy the rest of the summer.

I hear you on being burned out, my cars been ready to drive for a few weeks if I would just fill the coolant. I just cant motivate myself to do it.

I feel ya Josh and I havn't been in the contour game nearly as long or into it as deep as you have.

** Wow, long and deep...sounds kinda gay.**

Similar situation over here, car has been driveable for 4 months out of the last ~24...going on my 2nd 3L in this car. I almost sold it all out when the last motor dropped.

Then I saw someone rolling around Villa Park in a pristine T-Red and all I wanted to was to drive mine again. Get one rolling down the road, either throw it together real fast and get driving or just let it simmer on the back burner and work on it when you feel like it. No need in stressing over what once was a stress releiver.

I have to agree with most of what others have said...sell all the extras and take a step back. Hell, I had to let mine sit untouched for a few months just to not be pissed off at the car.

It really would be sad to see you get completely out.

There have been a lot of departures lately. At least many still troll the boards, but this community has gone well beyond contours, even when just about everyone still owned one.

That's exactly it. I haven't actually enjoyed driving my cars in nearly 2 years.

Normally I only discuss this stuff with you at the shop, but since you started a thread about it...

I've said before that you take on too much. You get a car running the way you like it and then you sell it or tear it apart again. The first thing you started talking about when you were almost done with the interior on Ginger was how much you can get for the car (I understand the situation w/ the Festiva though). You have at least two projects in process and one more on deck with no money or time to do all of them (or even most of them) and you set unrealistic deadlines. Most importantly, you buy cars for incredibly cheap and then get pissed off when they have a ton of problems.

I used to think it was because I'm not cut out to be a good mechanic like you that I would get burned out from all of your projects, but its become obvious its not just me. I'd drive over an hour to and from the shop and feel like we weren't getting anywhere on anything, and as soon as we'd make progress you talk about selling whatever it is we're working on.

<At the risk of sounding sappy and gh3y>

I've learned a lot about fixing cars, and Contours in particular, from you. I sometimes still enjoy driving out to the shop and working on something just because its a diversion from the rest of my life. PRT is your business and I'm just along for the ride, so I can't tell you how to run things, but I really think you need to refocus and retool. I think I've said it before: the hell with the race car, and the hell with the other project(s) until the T-Red is done. When that's done then we tackle the next thing. And if you talk about selling that car again I will figuratively kick you square in the dog's balls.

Mike i feel the same way a LOT of the time in regards to being out there and leaving feeling like I/We haven't accomplished anything. I feel bad seeing you drive out there so often just to listen to me :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and really get nowhere. You are 100% right that i take on too much and i guess that's what I'm trying to get under control now. Evey time i think about selling everything i can't seem to get myself to do it because i know it's going to get better....eventually. I really want to build the track car and BLKOUT2s rebirth, but the T-red is holding me back now, and that's the opposite of why i bought it. This car was supposed to help get everything done, and eventually it will.

I regret buying the t-red. For what i was told i was buying it was a good deal at the time, but obviously i got screwed, and that sucks. It will be finished, mostly because I'm too far in as it is, but I'm taking time off and just driving it, grinding trans and all, because just looking at it in the shop tears me down lately.

Weather you know it or not Mike, you're a lot of the heart in PRT. You're not just there, i consider you a partner in it. You've done a TON to help me out and i know you've learned a lot. Swapping your trans yourself made me feel just as good as it made you feel. I felt like I accomplished something there too. It's just that right now i don't feel like I'm getting anywhere again...

I've got to get my head back in the game and then hit it again, until then I'm just not going to be able to get anywhere.

I have every intention of not working on a damn thing this week. I've put off family, friends and sanity spending every waking minute trying to make progress out there, and I'm discovering it's not worth the trouble. It's a car and it shouldn't ruin me. This week is going to be relaxed and laid back for once. The only thing i see myself going to the shop for is cleaning and listing parts for sale I've got sitting around. Next week, I'll take everything in stride and just focus on one thing at a time, but this week I'm not doing much of anything except to try and re-light the fire.

I regret buying the t-red. For what i was told i was buying it was a good deal at the time, but obviously i got screwed, and that sucks. It will be finished, mostly because I'm too far in as it is, but I'm taking time off and just driving it, grinding trans and all, because just looking at it in the shop tears me down lately.

One thing you have to think about with that car is that you're already at least 1/3 done with it, if not 1/2. If I (or a lot of other people around here) bought that car, I would've been royally screwed because I wouldn't even know where to begin on it. I know it may seem a little daunting with all the problems, but I think it stands as more of a testament that you're able to get a POS running good as opposed to bolting together a bunch of new parts. Think West Coast vs. Orange County.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Yeah, it was abused, but as far as that car is concerned you're only getting screwed if you quit. Take the time to save up some money so you can get what the car needs. In the meantime there are still some things that I need to get taken care of on the Sport (oil pan, water pump, and brakes). If you're still willing to lend a hand let me know, otherwise just let me know when your head is back in the game and we'll get to work on Ginger.

Your out of town next week, so lets figure on hitting your car first thing in Aug. cool? Maybe focusing on something else for a while will help. If you don't have a gasket, i do.

josh as others have said your not the only one feeling like this. I have felt this way alittle bit from time to time recently. Trying to work out all the little details on my SeVT-T is starting to get annoying. but in the end the smile on my face after driving it is so worth it.

I know aircougar is feeling the same way. he hasn't gotten any work done in a few months on his cougar project.

I would just take a break for some time and don't do anything. you will regret selling everything, so just don't do it.

josh what your dealing with at the moment is insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

same here, a year of spending 6-8 hours A DAY in the garage working on things so miniscule even you wouldnt pick up on the work. and yes it ALWAYS feels like you accomplish nothing.

I've changed my tune, now I only go out to the garage for 1 hour a day [or 3.5 to enjoy listening to the cubs game], with ONE minor task in mind that I am going to get accomplished. Ironically, I think I'm being infiniately more productive this way.

I may be one of the only people that wont attempt to convince you to keep anything... I felt that way years ago when I was in the middle of my Cougar and held onto it way longer than I should have.

I was actually sitting at a resturant in Illinois with 2 of my good friends that were previous Cougar owners.. I was pretty down and depressed and we just started talking.. They were the only ones that listened to me and didnt just tell me what they thought I needed to hear. It was harsh and it was the reality I needed.. I needed to get out before I couldnt later.. and before everything just depreciated more and more and I wouldnt be able to sell.

The best advice in the world is to think hard about it.. and to be as reasonable as you can.. do you really need more than 1 car? How much extra money would you gain by just having 1 car that you can drive the entire year? How much does it cost to gain significant power in the car you have? Are you truely happy?

I personally think you should sell everything and pick up a used Subaru - its cheap and easy to mod -- can be driven 365 days a year, fantastic resale value and is much more reliable than anything Ford has put on the road to date.

I may be biased but I'm just trying to say if you feel it in your heart then follow thru -- its only a car and it shouldnt possess your life to any extent whether it be repairs or your checkbook.

Back