• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaking power steering fluid, please help

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
The hard line with the spinning nut that wraps around the motor mount will not seal properly.
It is leaking where the hardline goes into the back of the nut and feels loose when I wiggle on it. The nut is TQ'd to ford spec into the PS pump with a plastic o-ring like it says and also with thread tape and it is not leaking from here.

Some have said I have to replace that line which, by the ford book, says to drop the subframe to get to it :confused:!

That is just rediculous and was wondering if anyone has come up with an idea to get that to stop leaking.

In the pic, follow the hard line from the green sensor, around the mount, and into the PS pump above the upper most pully. Like I said, it is not leaking from the threads it is leaking where the harline goes into the back of the nut.

newpics112.jpg

If that hardline flexes somewhat on nut, are you sure there is not an o-ring inside to seal the two up?

an o-ring in the female fitting in the PS pump? not sure..... that is where I was going to look next but the fluid keeps leaking out from the pump onto my clean motor and it is pissing me off......

If you didn't start it right you could have cross threaded. Loosen it and try to put it back on again.

You don't have to drop the subframe completely... just lower the rear of it.

Your only other option involves cutting the hardline - because that's the only way to get the hex fitting off the line. If you're going to go that route, you'd be stupid not to buy a new hex fitting, and use a fresh piece of tubing with it. Flare one end of the tube, slide the fitting onto the tube from the other end, then attach the new piece of hardline to the rest of the line.

This really is a load of bull crap to have a fitting that you can't change without pulling the entire line :confused:. I would rather buy a new line, cut it back by the sensor, flare the ends and put another compression fitting there.

I am going to try to rig it with some type of 0-ring or possibly a sealant between the hardline and the hex fitting before cutting and flaring.

What type of connection is on the other end of this line? I want to be prepared for it when I get in there. I found the line and is about $25, not too bad so hopefully the hoses are easy to change.

I ordered the part I only need.
F5RZ 3A719-A

It is the hardline on the top end with the port for the sensor. It might come with a whip of hose to splice into the existing hose, but not sure. Otherwise it will just come as a female end for the hose to be press fit/clamped into. If I can't get that then I will cut and maybe thread the pipes and use a coupler or flare the ends and use some compression fittings.

We'll see.
Part was $26
Entire pressure hose is $245.52 :eek: and is 1995-97 specific and is only available through Vintage Parts (887)846-8243 or at OEConnection.com through D2D link.

there are tools around for flaring that you could use to flare it from the inside of the tube, but it might be expensive to get, to the point where a new line is a better choice.

I will probably cut the line, thread the two ends and use a coupler and see how that goes. :eek:

The FORD guy says the part came in, and it doesn't look like the part I need :mad:......

Hey blu-you and I seem to be doing the same stuff/having the same problems. I just got my 3.0 running yesterday and while I was doing the swap, I found a rotten power steering line which was rusted through. I replaced with a new Ford part but it's leaking at the rack now. I hope I just didn't tighten it enough. Couldn't use a TQ wrench as it's a flared fitting and can only get an 18mm open end wrench on it. I've been told those white plastic O rings can be a real problem. The first time I tightened it I completely crushed it. I didn't use teflon tape though. The fitting is item 2 in the posted drawing. Hopefully acces won't be a problem now that the drivetrain is back in as it was easy with it out.

Yah, I am finding out that ford really didn't care about the "ease" of having to change parts. The power steering lines are one of those problems.

LOL at the above statement! Pulling it out and re-installing/tightening it didn't help? I had it leak when I first got everything back together, but I must not have tightened it enough because with a little turn of the wrench it stopped leaking. I wouldn't try to replace the line just yet. Also, make sure you look in there to make sure some gunk or something didn't collect in there and is disrupting the seal.

The line is threaded tight into the pump and the threads are not stripped. It is leaking from where the hard line goes into the hex nut, not from the threads.
I am going to try to splice a new end. This is pissing me off, because I won't be able to drive the car this weekend if that is still leaking :blackeye:.

I had the same exact problem! Here is how I fixed it - that is a one time use joint with 2 o rings and a teflon washer. You have to cut that fitting off and hope to god you don't hit the line - it was some nervous time with a dremmel. I cut that sum-:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: in half, bolted the two together without the line in there and then pushed the line into the fittings - IT IS DESIGNED TO DO THAT.

DSCI0146.jpg

As you can see I nicked the line - but it is fine. That rin left o the line acts like a snap ring - it pops on and won't come off. So cut that fitting in half, remove all the junk, take the new fitting and screw it into the ps pump and then shove the line into it. My car used to leak from there and the shop I brought it to said it was the line and needed to be replaced (which would fix the problem, but is incorrect). The problem is that the o-ring inside is shot and the nut needs to be replaced. Do NOT try and pry it off the end of the line - you will toast the line. You need to cut it off and replace it.

I had the same exact problem! Here is how I fixed it - that is a one time use joint with 2 o rings and a teflon washer. You have to cut that fitting off and hope to god you don't hit the line - it was some nervous time with a dremmel. I cut that sum-:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: in half, bolted the two together without the line in there and then pushed the line into the fittings - IT IS DESIGNED TO DO THAT.

As you can see I nicked the line - but it is fine. That rin left o the line acts like a snap ring - it pops on and won't come off. So cut that fitting in half, remove all the junk, take the new fitting and screw it into the ps pump and then shove the line into it. My car used to leak from there and the shop I brought it to said it was the line and needed to be replaced (which would fix the problem, but is incorrect). The problem is that the o-ring inside is shot and the nut needs to be replaced. Do NOT try and pry it off the end of the line - you will toast the line. You need to cut it off and replace it.

I LOVE YOU! This is what I have been waiting for. Where can I get that hex nut and 0-rings from?

Back