• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaking power steering fluid, please help

My PS fluid just started leaking I think. Just in the past few days I would sometimes see the fluid in the garage or driveway. Not every time I park either.

The PS tank is always wet like it is leaking from under the cap and running down. I can get about 2-3 days on it before I hear the pump too. I will try replacing the cap and see what happens......

My PS fluid just started leaking I think. Just in the past few days I would sometimes see the fluid in the garage or driveway. Not every time I park either.

The PS tank is always wet like it is leaking from under the cap and running down. I can get about 2-3 days on it before I hear the pump too. I will try replacing the cap and see what happens......

My 96GL had that. I could never figure out. Replaced a cap, I think it stopped, but yet again it hadn't been driven a lot yet. I take it for a spin once every 2 weeks just to warm up the engine, atx and keep the rust off rotors.

Sounds like air is getting into the system and it is expanding the fluid to the point where it leaks out. Check your fittings - could need to replace that fitting I described above.

That does make sence about the air getting in but replace what fitting?

That does make sence about the air getting in but replace what fitting?

Nevermind - been awhile, I realized you did cut your fitting off and replaced it with a new one. Need to find the source of your air intake - are there bubbles in the fluid when it is gurgling all over?

I will have to have my wife turn the wheel when it is idling. I havn't been able to look while turning the wheel yet.

Well, after fixing the issue described above my return line going from the cooler sprung a leak ... Thankfully it was right under the CV shaft and I was able to cut the bad piece out and patch it with a piece of high pressure hose and some clamps. Now, this repair is only a temporary fix.
I was going to replace my control arms, sway bar bushings and both roll resistors with filled ones. I guess I'll drop the sub frame completely to tackle the line as well. Might as well clean the sub frame and paint everything. Anyone has a spare line in good nick for sale or a part number for one?

So the fluid is pushing out the top from under the resovior cover :confused:. I put a new cap on and it still manages to come out just when starting the car not even turning the wheel..... where would this built up pressure be coming from? I didn't have this problem before the 3L.

Are you using the original pump from your 2.5?
You could have trapped air in the system, pump could be cavitating foaming the oil and causing it to pressurize the tank. Faulty components in the system, is there any sort of relief in the PS system? Haven't looked at the PS circuit in a long ass time on a tour so thats just for starters.

I'm having the same issue after replacing my engine. If I understand the situation correctly, I need to cut off the old connector and install a brand new one? And I can get the part from Ford? Or, I can get a replacement line from NAPA? Thanks!

I didn't read this whole post but for the cooler I cut all that sh*t off and just ran rubber lines. Easy as cake, the lines also had to go because of the turbo placement, but it looked as though if i touched them they would break in half anyways. I used a rolled up peice of teflon to seal the compression fitting though it shouldnt need it hence 'compression' but there is a grove it looked like they might use a fiber washer there to stop anything that gets past the compression point. /rant

I will be making an attempt to order the fitting today. I do not need PS fluid all over my pretty 3L. The previous owner just kept adding fluid and it was all over the 2.5L and engine bay. You guys rock!! One small simple fitting.....

So the fluid is pushing out the top from under the resovior cover :confused:. I put a new cap on and it still manages to come out just when starting the car not even turning the wheel..... where would this built up pressure be coming from? I didn't have this problem before the 3L.

I think it was just overfilled and I kept adding more. It's all good now, I just left it alone and it fixed itself.

Back