• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaking power steering fluid, please help

holding for steve @ tousley ford...........

still holding..............

'90s hits :yay:...............

BINGO!

Steve is the man - so are you, thanks so much!

Hehehe - hell yeah. Happy to help someone out. Yeah - I've talked to parts guy and didn't get what I wanted (new knuckle with wheel bearing pre-pressed in) so I held for Steve. 90min later on hold (busy day) he had my part waiting for me in under 5 min. Steve knows his :censored::censored::censored::censored: really well.

Where can I get that hex nut and 0-rings from?
My parts people always told me that I couldn't get that fitting. After reading KyleQ's post, I check for myself meandering through the parts software app... and find the fittings. :mad: And they're cheap as hell too. Such a conflict of interest to pay someone commission for quoting/getting me parts.

Anyway, the software shows numbers for both the fitting at the pump and the rack, but it's not differentiating between the two, other than measurements & length... if you have those handy, it'll be real easy. But I BELIEVE the one you need is F5RZ-3R608-A which lists for $11. The other number shown is F5RZ-3R608-B and lists for $6.

Steve is a parts CD - he finds what you need.... sometimes off the top of his head.
If I hadn't grown used to using the parts software due to the laziness/incompentence of the parts guys I work with, I would probably start calling him too!

Someone should make a sticky with oddball part numbers like this.

Steve gave me the part # of
F5RZ-3R608-B

And like you said, these fittings are only called out down by the rack in the parts database and not up by the PS pump.

Tously Ford cost: $4.60
-will be here monday
Beaver Dam Ford cost : $5.25
-will be here tomorrow morning

I bought both, can't have too many of these laying around!

Thanks guys. Another reason why CEG :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing rocks!

these fittings are only called out down by the rack in the parts database and not up by the PS pump.
Mine WAS showing the fitting at the pump, just not differentiating between the two numbers.
Make sure you're getting the right one. If that's the right part number, the fitting is a 5/8 X 16 thread, and is 24.2mm long. The other fitting is an M16 X 1.5 thread, and is 17.8mm long. You might as well measure to make sure you're getting the right one.

EDIT - nevermind, just saw that you said you bought both.

anyone have a dremem?

no, seriously
You can borrow mine... just come get it. :blackeye: :laugh:

Hey Kyle - did you try heat? I wonder if torching that puppy could expand it enough to be able to pop it off the line... :ponder:

You can borrow mine... just come get it. :blackeye: :laugh:

Hey Kyle - did you try heat? I wonder if torching that puppy could expand it enough to be able to pop it off the line... :ponder:

Well - that could do multiple things:
It could start the ps fluid on fire - not good.
It could heat up the snap ring as well - not good.
It could heat up everything and you go to pull it off and you deform the line and it's sealing capability - not good.
It might work - good.

Cut the damn thing off - heat + oil don't mix. The part is delicate enough that taking it apart and putting it back together makes it leak - heat isn't going to be any easier on it.

So the answer to the question I posed is "no, you didn't try heat" - gotcha. You could have saved yourself a lot of typing on that one. But at least now I know where to send people that might actually be in need of advice for beginners... or are just retarded. :cool:

So the answer to the question I posed is "no, you didn't try heat" - gotcha. You could have saved yourself a lot of typing on that one. But at least now I know where to send people that might actually be in need of advice for beginners... or are just retarded. :cool:

Sorry - it is really slow at work and it sounded humerus at the time. I didn't try heat and I wouldn't suggest it.

Fitting was supposed to come yesterday with the shipment to Ford..... It wasn't in the container :blackeye:

I went to NAPA, and they have the entire pressure side of the hose for $29! :eek:
I thought I might just replace it then.... no freakin way - subrame bolts kicked my ass and I can't reach the lower fitting on the steering rack to even loosen the connection. Sooooo, I wrapped a plastic bag around the connection on top and spun electrical tape around it for now to keep it from dripping on the belt :blackeye:..... still need a dremel too :blackeye:

Fitting was supposed to come yesterday with the shipment to Ford..... It wasn't in the container :blackeye:

I went to NAPA, and they have the entire pressure side of the hose for $29! :eek:
I thought I might just replace it then.... no freakin way - subrame bolts kicked my ass and I can't reach the lower fitting on the steering rack to even loosen the connection. Sooooo, I wrapped a plastic bag around the connection on top and spun electrical tape around it for now to keep it from dripping on the belt :blackeye:..... still need a dremel too :blackeye:

It helps to drop the Y-pipe too...

I did exactly what was posted earlier for cutting the nut. It worked perfectly. No leaks - thank you ;)

I did exactly what was posted earlier for cutting the nut. It worked perfectly. No leaks - thank you ;)

Great to hear cutting your nut worked!

Sorry - just had to :laugh:

I was sooo sick and tired of cleaning off the subframe and side of the motor so I wouldn't ruin the new driveway.

YAY... Same problem here... I've been tracing this leak for days. Only squirts when steering is used. I was like WTF why do I have traces of fluid on my sub frame and fluid disappearing from the reservoir. The problem is that it takes about 3 days to go low before I notice the pump whine. Come to think of it I did take this thing apart before when I was troubleshooting the noise.
Stupid Canadian dealers did not know what I was talking about either until I gave them the part numbers from here. Picking up a couple today.
I love CEG, collective thinking works!!!

YAY... Same problem here... I've been tracing this leak for days. Only squirts when steering is used. I was like WTF why do I have traces of fluid on my sub frame and fluid disappearing from the reservoir. The problem is that it takes about 3 days to go low before I notice the pump whine. Come to think of it I did take this thing apart before when I was troubleshooting the noise.
Stupid Canadian dealers did not know what I was talking about either until I gave them the part numbers from here. Picking up a couple today.
I love CEG, collective thinking works!!!

Glad to hear another person is going to get this fixed on the cheap

Back