• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My very own hesitation/bucking thread

I drove Ibrents car and it does the same thing my car does. The hesitation is so little that I have grown to just ignore it. I honestly don't think there is anything anyone can do with out getting a tune to fix it.
I have had a misfire and that was completly different and so much worse than what he was talking about.

I drove it also. its was a very slight hesitation. you might miss it if you where not looking for it. Like I told him it reminds me of my car when I hit 1/4 tank of gas.

I had this exact problem and I fixed it with a new fuel filter and a new fuel pump.

This is a fuel flow related problem (as a few people have mentioned but it appears that their suggestions were overlooked).

cool, thanks for the tip im gonna get those 2 items replaced and see if that fixes it. did you swap to the focus svt pump?

Hummm, spark plug gap...:ponder: My car just had new plugs and wires put on right before I bought it, but I wondering if they even gapped them...

I had this exact problem and I fixed it with a new fuel filter and a new fuel pump.

This is a fuel flow related problem (as a few people have mentioned but it appears that their suggestions were overlooked).

well I know in my case its the classic returnless fuel pump failure starting. like clock work at 1/4 tank it will fall flat on its face under a wot condition. I sometimes notice a slight hesitation on the top end at times with a full tank of gas. I have replaced the fuel filter with a motorcraft one and there was no difference. although there was alot of junk in the filter ....

I haven't checked the plugs but I would assume at now ~50k they are original. car is running with Ford Racing 9mm plug wires.

Well it wasn't the spark plug gap because they were fine... Humm. Well now I got a different issue that's more important. The guy that had the car before me had the fuel tank dropped and cleaned out because someone tried to sugar the car. Well whoever did it didn't do something right because I've been smelling gas lately and the other day at work I got my car on a lift and saw that the tank is leaking a little... AWESOME!!!:nonono:

Well iBrent I have to hand it to you! Looks like you tried everything under the sun everyone asked you to do to fix the problem but still wasn't able to fix it. With everything everyone suggested you could have spent $10k and still have the problem. I have a 98 Contour, 98 Mystique, and a 2002 Cougar. Both the 98 Contour and 98 Mystique don't have any problems with bucking, but my 2002 Cougar does. Since all of them have the same v6 engine I have swapped many parts trying to fix the Cougar, but with no success.

Looked through all the pages on this thread and will try a few things to see if it fixes my bucking/hesitation problem.

I was a good read though!

well mine has been pretty precise now, it only hesitates/bucks at around 2k rpm when I give it half throttle-full throttle, then once it gets going around 3k rpm it pulls fine, any ideas on what it might be?

Bringing this thread back up:
So the 01 v6 5 speed cougar my gf has is now almost un drivable as she says because of this bucking/hesitation issue. She says it only happens in 3,4, or 5th gear under 2200 RPMS and it has only been happening in the cold weather. I seriously have no idea what it is, have tried everything. Has a new DPFE, newer plugs/wires, cleaned the MAF out, new air filter, new fuel filter, fuel pressure is in spec....sigh I am lost...maybe IMRC?

I still think it has something to do with the fuel pump. when datalogging a 2k with the issue the pump pusle width would drop out when it bucked ...

That's what I don't get though. I datalogged the car and when it was bucking, it was pulling 24º (yes that's right 24º) of timing. I read on NECO that some people have had really good luck replacing the coil (because I guess the Cougar coils are prone to cracking) so I think I will start there, then go to the knock sensor.

Back