• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My very own hesitation/bucking thread

That's what I don't get though. I datalogged the car and when it was bucking, it was pulling 24º (yes that's right 24º) of timing. I read on NECO that some people have had really good luck replacing the coil (because I guess the Cougar coils are prone to cracking) so I think I will start there, then go to the knock sensor.

I was going to suggest checking the coil. If you have a multimeter you can check and see if the coil is in spec by measuring the resistance between the different points. The autozone website has the specs.

that is exactly whats wrong with my car, 3rd,4th, and 5th gear below 2500rpm it has like no power and bucks like crazy till I get up to around 3300 rpm then its fine. im gonna be troubleshooting this weekend to see if I can fix it, i'll post the results here.

Car threw a code today, p0401 again (for the 3rd time in 2 yrs), replaced the DPFE 3x in 2 yrs too (getting expensive), and the code goes away. TB passages have been cleaned, EGR vacuum is good too, I hate this!!

that is exactly whats wrong with my car, 3rd,4th, and 5th gear below 2500rpm it has like no power and bucks like crazy till I get up to around 3300 rpm then its fine. im gonna be troubleshooting this weekend to see if I can fix it, i'll post the results here.

:D
put new spark plugs in, runs like a champ now, no hesitation or bucking whatsoever. I also threw some dieelectric grease in the wire boots so they would snap on easy peasy.

did anyone ever end up changing the (camshaft position sensor)??? man cause i got the same problem too!! an i got the 3L but i got the 2.5L everything else. one day i got a po340 code an i went home an unplugged the sensor an turned the car on, the code was gone. then drove it an the buck was gone.......

the bucking came back then i changed the secondaries computer with the wire... then connected the secondarie rods together then its gone a lot. next im fillin the motor mounts an its gone!

an there was a vacuum leak too i fixed

wow this thread has been going on forever... I'm going to jump in here too, I have the same bucking problem as iBrent (no hesitation though) just bucks at cruise, but it only does it when it's raining (or very humid).
Any thoughts?

So Im reading this thread and looking at the fuel pump, VSS, TRS, plugs, wires. iBrent, how you doing?

The bucking has been experienced by the wife (her car) and the few times I drove it, if it was 'the buck' it only happened once so that didn't help. I did refresh the trany fluid to be safe. Wasn't burnt but did look like it had a brownish tint to it. Anyway.... Sending thread back to the top today. :crazy:

Update: The bucking is there after a bit of driving. Mostly above 45 mi/hr. Feels like O/D slipping in an out and lower gears during deceleration. Speedo gage steady and no flashing O/D light. Tach jumps with bucking. VSS not tested but looks ok to include the wires. I called Steve and ordered a TRS from him and will install asap. Look for something early next week if you are following this thread.

Ok swapped out the TRS. She drives as before this started. More driving is in order but a SW6274 (Motorcraft part#) TRS seams to have done the trick. If there are no more edits, consider this the fix. Thanks for the forums folks.

Last edited:
Old thread but had to put my two cents in....... I had the whole bucking and tried everything, turns out I met a guy who was some kinda wizard with these cars and told me to replace alt...... So I took it off and had it tested and it checked out fine thru advanced auto where i bought it, turns out the volt reg. was bad thru testing at ford..... Guy told me these cars buck alot when the volt reg is all over the place. It read from 0 - 16 output and the guy told me these cars electrical systems are VERY sensitive to voltage output probs.....

Don't know if this helps but $400 dollars in parts later, turns out it was only the alt.

Does anyone know when you replace the alternator do they replace the regulator too? Because i've had 3 different alternators (first one cracked, second one caused extreme light flickering, third is the one i'm on now and it seems ok ish i get flickering but not as bad as before)

So this thread just stops with the Alt? Everyone replaced their Alt and problem is fixed? weird.

did you read the whole thread?

i could possibly buy the whole voltage thing. Like I have a slight buck/miss at high rpm/high load when warmed up. I have a Ford reman alternator that i put in a few months ago, came out of my other car. so I would say the alternator is fine. also it only does it when the car is hot, not cold.

I also started using mid-grade and swapped in known good plugs and wires. This took care of most of it.

so there can be many reasons and every car is going to be alittle different.

Has anyone ever tried to put a fuel pressure gauge on their car and watch it for dips while driving? I have this bucking/ hesitation issue as well on my 98 svt. I have changed

TPS
Maf
coil
wires
plugs
intake tubes
cleaned uim and lim
new wiring harness
fresh clean grounds
alt signal wire tsb

the bucking/ hesitations I have are slight. But the car feels like it hits a wall when i am at partial throttle. It has gotten better with all the above mentioned items. I might try the plugs and wires again. But I am getting to the point where I will sell the car if something doesnt clear it up.

My next ideas would be fuel pump and or clogged exhaust. I have to believe that fuel pump is stock (i have 145k on my car), but the exhaust has gutted pre cats, with a hi flow main cat. I am about to pick up a fuel pressure gauge to test to see if there is a dip in the fuel pressure. The only hold back I have with the fuel pump is that under WOT the car pulls fine. So I am having a hard time thinking its the fuel pump.

Mine does this with the ac on. Like a very slight bog or hesitation. And I have figured out my alternator or voltage regulator is going out the light came on today a 5800 rpm when I passed a very slow car today on the way to town. And the lights flicker at idle and right off idle. No big though. I haven't done plugs and wires yet, but I will. I'll do the coil too. Thank god it's not coil packs. Those things cost like 125 each.

Well I might as well keep this famous thread running. I have read it all at least twice.

Here is my problem:
Idles fine under no load. With Idle and load I get a slight buck/surge once in a while (i.e in drive with break on, or at a stop light).
When accelerating Misfiring jerking/bucking occurs in the 2300-2500 range. Once in a while I get a blinking cel for bad misfires.
I am only pulling missfire codes,nothing else and it is moving around to different cylinders, P0303,4,5,6 and one P0300. I am not pulling any other codes.

Coilpack, 2 sets of motocraft plugs and new wires cleaned MAF and IAC. Sprayed carbcleaner around engine for leaks and checked hoses.

So bucks at idle underload and acceleration around the 2500RPM (i.e. acceleration onto highway).

I am going to look at the EGR next. Any feedback would be good even though it is ,most likely somewhere in this thread.

jborge, keep me informed on your progress, I just picked up a 99 CSVT and am in the same boat as everyone here. Bucking around 2k-3k in 3rd gear. I've read through this whole thing and am still kinda confused where to throw money at first haha. So we'll have to keep this going and see if we can figure anything out.

I ordered a new set of OEM wires that i am waiting for, and will use dielectric grease. I cleaned the EGR as well, it did not look that bad.
I will let you know when I get somewhere.

If the EGR does not respond correctly (it should close off exhaust during acceleration) it could cause hesitation.

I ordered a new set of OEM wires that i am waiting for, and will use dielectric grease. I cleaned the EGR as well, it did not look that bad.
I will let you know when I get somewhere.

Buy new plugs and replace those at the same time. If you're having misfires, there's a good chance they are cooked, and they will ruin a new set of wires, and you'll effectively be chasing your own tail for eternity.

Back