• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RaptorSVT's Official 3L Build Thread

You aren't supposed to "lift" these engines out of the car. You are supposed to drop the sub frame.

older year shop manuals say to drop the enigne out the bottom. the newer shop manuals say to pull the engine out the top.

pulling from the top is easier without a lift. also it helps to not have to remove the subframe as the bolts often freeze up and cause headaches.

It's Alive!!!!!!!!!

It's Alive!!!!!!!!!

10/24/2008 2130hrs

The 3L cranked (for a while), sputtered, and STARTED!!!!:cool:

It was AWESOME!!! We were going to get video but due to some technical difficulties (broken clutch switch) we could not refire the car.

When it was running, though, Tommy said it sounded great. We will have video posted in a couple days when I get all the little details worked out.

actually, when I pull the MTX, I'm going to be mighty tempted to pull the whole dang thing out the top. it was soooo much easier. more technical, but allot less force involved.

although dropping the subframe is probably fairly easy with an assistant and a lift

even with spinning subframe bolts its faster to tilt the SF and pull the trans out the side. You'd be stupid to pull the whole motor for the trans.

Real funny. Like your car.

even with spinning subframe bolts its faster to tilt the SF and pull the trans out the side. You'd be stupid to pull the whole motor for the trans.

Real funny. Like your car.

yeah, I actually completely dropped the subframe like an idiot because the morron haines manual says to do it that way. @ the time my pc was busted so no ford cd or forums for advice. I have yet to see how hard it is to pull it out the side like everybody does. I'm assuming yall pull the strut assy out first?

BTW, my car is pretty funny.... in about the same way as a wife that screws the neighbor and brings back aids :blackeye:

Post video and pics. I want to see if your car idles like mine. That way I can finally get it rollin. Hope it works out. If I had the 'tour up, I'd offer to help. The 'ol truck has 4:10 gears and is a pain on the highway.

Your "drop the subframe like an idiot" comment is about as funny as that, also.

it was major stupid to completely remove the subframe just to pull the mtx. most people only pull the driver side loose and loosen the pas side bolts enough for it to tilt down and allow the mtx out. I believe this requires taking the strut/knuckle assy out first though.

Post video and pics. I want to see if your car idles like mine. That way I can finally get it rollin. Hope it works out. If I had the 'tour up, I'd offer to help. The 'ol truck has 4:10 gears and is a pain on the highway.

I am getting it running again tomorrow, as I ran out of time today. I have to go back to my mom and dad's house and put the Taurus TB on, connect the throttle cables, bleed the clutch, fill/burp the coolant system, tighten the suspension, install the new clutch safety switch, make sure the battery is charged, and fire her up.

This time, I WILL be taking video of it running. It is going to be VERY loud, as the EGR system is not hooked up and I need to get the car to Tommy to plug the hole in the firewall side cat.

Tomorrow video should be posted. Tommy said the engine sounded VERY good during the short time it was running.

it was major stupid to completely remove the subframe just to pull the mtx. most people only pull the driver side loose and loosen the pas side bolts enough for it to tilt down and allow the mtx out. I believe this requires taking the strut/knuckle assy out first though.

Yeah that is how I did it actually when I had to do Sa2ah's clutch Christmas Day last year. Haha. I thought you were talking about swapping engines, and comparing it to taking the whole thing out the top. ;)

Back