• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally doing a 3L

Are those the ones that came with the motor or are those the heads you had purchased already ported?

Those are the ones I got from Blackcoog. The ones that came on the motor will be for sale as soon as we make sure these heads are good to go.

Nice of you to post that, SicSE. I didn't feel like going searching through all the posts myself, but I know it's been covered 1000 times.

Would this be a good time for somebody to bring up "Bugzuki" plates?

The ported heads came with a set of Bugzuki plates, as a matter of fact... Looks like a pretty neat idea. Never used a set before.

Do ya'll have an idea yet when the engine might go in? Apparently my workload is about to increase yet again but I can still work out a schedule. I would like to help with the swap when it comes time. Or I could just man the grill.

In theory, keeping the secondaries will improve low rpm throttle response and fuel economy but it may provide a bit of restriction at high rpm and cut a few horses.

Theory and actual sometimes doesn't match.

Have you been following the group buy interest check on an enlarged lower intake manifold the retains the secondaries? Possibly the best of both worlds.

Theory, exactly ;). I don't believe the secondaries help low RPM response, all the resonant tuning is out the door when you dump the two ports down into a common chamber.

I've had both types (full 3 liter and port match)... I was pretty pro split port when I had it, looks good, easy to bolt up but I got tired of reving out the motor to make any power (due to the lack of port tuning). The full 3 liter blows them away.. but on this topic I would eventually delete the secondaries and get her tuned.

Do ya'll have an idea yet when the engine might go in? Apparently my workload is about to increase yet again but I can still work out a schedule. I would like to help with the swap when it comes time. Or I could just man the grill.

We're still waiting for the bearings to come in and then I think its up to Dan after that. I know it won't be this weekend though. He's gonna have the car for a week so you should have a chance to swing by.

Got the bearings today- But I can't build the engine until Sunday. Pictures to follow, let me know when you want to get your car here for the swap!

Got the bearings today- But I can't build the engine until Sunday. Pictures to follow, let me know when you want to get your car here for the swap!
You got a PM Dan

Are spectators welcome? BTW, I think I left my work gloves in your garage.
Nope because there will be plenty of things for you to do: BAT bar, optimize y-pipe, brakes, wash, wax, rotate the tires, and anything else I can think of :laugh: Unless you're manning the grill:)

CEG and NECO members alike are welcome to the (in)famous DanG Garage when the time comes for the swap. I usually have burgers & dogs to throw on the grill if folks want to chip in a few bucks for supplies- Just keep in mind that I'm on LilCe98's dime for the swap.

Once we have a time set up, I'll post in Capital, and folks can PM me for directions.

What I'll be doing tomorrow (hopefully) is just the longblock assembly- Heads to block and bearings. That's it. Everything else needs to come off LilCe's CSVT.

This weekend's progress:

Dirty block:

021BlockDirty.jpg

B1 Dirty:

022B1Dirty.jpg

B1 Clean:

023B1Clean.jpg

Clean block:

024BlockClean.jpg

Bearing install: Rod off:

025RodOff.jpg

Old Bearing:

026OldBearing.jpg

New Bearing with Molybdenum Assembly Lube:

027NewBearing.jpg

Rod Cap w/new bearing:

028NewBearing.jpg

I'm going to wait until we have the old engine out and start swapping parts to get the port-matched heads on. We need LilCe's center motor mount and crankcase breather. Yes, I know you can shave it down to fit between already-installed heads, but I'd rather have everything at my fingertips so we can just get on with the build.

But, if someone has an extra (or cheap, or both) center motor mount that they can send to Gainesville before Saturday, I'm sure we wouldn't turn it down... ;)

That would be awesome if we can snag it... I'm in Chantilly during the day, Gainesville in the evening- I can meet you whereever if it means getting a jump on the longblock build-out. PM me.

Back