• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally doing a 3L

Ugh... this is one of the grossest bits of misinformation on CEG. The heads are not junk. Do you know what Ford says to do if one/all cam caps are ruined/missing? Install new cam cap/s... not get new heads. They are all the same size for a given application.

You need to reinstall used caps in the same location that they were removed from because of any wear patterns that may develop between the cam & cap. A new cap on a used cam is just going to develop the same wear pattern that the old cap had - no harm there.

Now, I'm not sure about pricing of new caps, so it may be cheaper anyway to just get another set of used heads, but you don't need to replace a set of heads because of bad/missing cam caps.

Your information is only half-true. No, the heads are not junk, they are junk to us. Since the cam caps are not the ones that came with the heads Blackcoog shipped, attempting to make those heads useable is not in our best interests timewise or financially.

If you were to get a set of new cam caps, you incur not only the cost of the new caps, but also machine-shop labor and materials since the new caps must be line-bored in order to match the heads. Each set of caps is line-bored at the factory to ensure the proper journal diameter and are specific to that set of heads due to minor variances in machining and cam angles.

Since the heads Blackcoog sent are not useful to us, Javon and I chose to port the heads that came with the crated 3L motor he purchased from the junkyard. Those heads are in perfect condition, have the correct cam caps, and are ready to go, save being port-matched and the Bugzuki plates installed. The only costs Javon incurs by switching to the original 3L heads is the cost of the bit, sanding cones, and my time to port match them.

I never suggested that the "only" thing to do was to throw the heads out- It just doesn't make sense to use them when we have a perfectly good set sitting on my workbench.

If you were to get a set of new cam caps, you incur not only the cost of the new caps, but also machine-shop labor and materials since the new caps must be line-bored in order to match the heads.
This is what I'm disagreeing with. New cam caps have already been line-bored... that's how the journals are created in the first place. From my own experiences, (installing new 3L cam caps fresh out of the bag, into a 3L head), and according to the Ford engineers that I've dealt with, there is no need, and no good reason, to re-bore the cam journals. All cams, and cam journals, are factory-machined to the same spec with tight enough tolerances to allow new part replacement without additional machine work.

Obviously, not a good option for y'all, but something for readers to keep in mind.

I never suggested that the "only" thing to do was to throw the heads out
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that. Nor am I questioning your decisions on your build. From what I've read of your posts on here & Neco, I'm sure you've got it under control and this puppy will be up and running well in no time. :cool:

SICSE -- just wanted to say thanks for the info and pictures buddy, im not doin this yet as i need to find the 3.0 engine first but i would like to do it one day and when i do ill pm u for the info again thanks :)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that. Nor am I questioning your decisions on your build. From what I've read of your posts on here & Neco, I'm sure you're well in control and this puppy will be up and running well in no time. :cool:

DanG is the man especially for the neco group and on this forum. He is very knowledgeable and has gained a lot of respect for his work he has performed over the years.

yeah i have to agree dan knows these cars. Im sure Lilce98's tour will be carving corners soon :laugh: My install has been shoved down on the list of things to do but hes the one im gonna call when im ready for sure!

Thanks for all the info SicSE. Honestly alot of this stuff is over my head so I"m trying to learn all the info I can. As Dan said we are in a time crunch and this seemed to be the best option. The other option was to pick up the LIM mod from NPG and use the heads from the crate engine, but those are $350 :blackeye:

Arg! once my refund from blackcoog stops "pending" i will send some money asap to help ya out! Keep my motor nice and sealed for meh though :laugh:

Edit: As of this morin its still pending... 5 days now...

Arg! once my refund from blackcoog stops "pending" i will send some money asap to help ya out! Keep my motor nice and sealed for meh though :laugh:

Yeah, Paypal sucks. I don't know why refunds take so darn long.

Thanks man. Every little bit helps:)

Yeah, Paypal sucks. I don't know why refunds take so darn long.

Hey gary, if you want to go through my mystery box of parts to see if there's anything you need go right ahead. I'm gonna need to get ride of that stuff.

Thanks for the offer. I sure hope you are able to get your motor back together quickly and running well. I'm glad Dan noticed the problem with the caps before you guys installed the motor!

help_q.gif
Why is my refund pending?

Answer :
help_a.gif
There were insufficient funds in your seller's PayPal account to cover the payment. The refund is now being funded with an electronic funds transfer from the seller's bank account. This refund will remain pending until the bank account transfer has been complete.

Its a Bank Transfer and those take awhile, as always.. Darnit

Paypal randomly selects transfers to delay which is what happened in this case because there was money in the account to cover the transfer. Even if there wasn't money in the account to cover the transfer usually bank transfers for payments is instant as long as you have a credit card associated with the account.

Paypal randomly selects transfers to delay which is what happened in this case because there was money in the account to cover the transfer. Even if there wasn't money in the account to cover the transfer usually bank transfers for payments is instant as long as you have a credit card associated with the account.

Sorry Chris i didnt mean for it to be personal, if it was. Didnt in no way intend it seeming as if i thought you didnt have the money for the refund.:shrug:

Back