• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"THE" Official 2010 Fall Dragon Run...Oct 7th thru 10th!

I think he has Star Specs now, i don't know why he'd change from those. Insane grip!

I know they do, but when you only go somewhere once a year where you need the best legal grip, you might wanna get something with a treadwear number that goes from 200 to 340 and probably does about 80% as good of job, if not more! I wouldn't want to replace tires every 10k, well, unless I could afford it:shrug:

Well, 8k launches will do that Randy, LOL! What tires are you putting on before the Dragon this year? May I suggest the Conti DW, summer perf tire with a 340 treadwear number and AA traction and A temp, you even get a free MLS jersey if you get them by the end of the month. I'm chosing the DC United because its got a VW logo on the front. Not a soccer fan one bit, but the jersey looks cool.

Check out those tires Randy, I think you'll find its a good one!

send me the info on that offer. I was considering switching to those tires because they seem to have good dry grip, better wet grip than the star specs and should last me longer. The only offer I saw was a free Tom Tom GPS from continental if you buy 4 new continental tires for $440 or more. The DW Summer tires came out to $427, so that offer wouldn't work.

I think he has Star Specs now, i don't know why he'd change from those. Insane grip!

The star specs do have insane dry grip, and I love that. The wet grip is not so good, and dowright scary as they start to wear down. New star specs are awesome....Starspecs with 4/10's of tread or less are scary in the rain. I also don't really drive the car hard enough to justify such a sticky tire. Most of my driving is a 40 mile one way commute to work. I occassionally have some fun on on-ramps, but nothing that a less grippy tire can't handle. My last run on the dragon was the most aggressive driving those tires ever saw.

So it doesnt matter who goes were all able to meet up there??? And im new to this whole contour thing but i really enjoy my car and the info you guys give out on this so dont chew my ass too much....:laugh:

So it doesnt matter who goes were all able to meet up there??? And im new to this whole contour thing but i really enjoy my car and the info you guys give out on this so dont chew my ass too much....:laugh:

Welcome to the official 2010 Fall Dragon run thread! I see your in Sterling Heights (I just moved out of Detroit back in Dec) and I will tell you my buddy Derek who has a BSR-tuned Saab 9-3 is going with us yet again and you could meet up with him and follow him down, its not a problem. Other MI guys are going the day before but like I said, you can meet up with Derek and "Contouravan" down I-75 until you meet up with us from Chicago. The Chicago crew will be me in the Fit, Hectour in the MS3 and Jerry in the EVO MR and maybe a couple other guys, but 3 of us for sure will meet you guys down I-75 in Kentucky though.

Have you checked out the Dragon site? www.tailofthedragon.com Also, any pics or stats about your ride ( mods, miles, background on yourself) Even though your new I can tell you this, our run is laid back with no cliques, so getting along and fitting in will be no problem, I guarantee it, not to mention, it will be nice to have yet another CSVT down there, this is the most we've had since......I don't know!

Randy, I'll pull that tire info up in a second, but the free jersey info is on the banner at Discount Tire and goes till the end of the month. IMO the Conti DW is the tire to go with.

Hey Black, any question feel free to post them here or drop me or anyone else here a PM and thanks for interest, this is something you've gotta experience for yourself, I can't stress this enough. Its not about speed down there, make sure your tires and brakes are up to snuff and you'll have a great time!

Your info Randy

Your info Randy

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW

Great things about this tire in my opinion:

1. 340 treadwear, AA traction and A temp...140 higher than the Star Specs. Not saying its a better tire but for what your using it for, it is!

2. Continentals are rated at the top or near the top in alot of reviews.

3. Good lookin' tire w/great tread pattern, awesome!

4. FREE GPS, I'd rather have that than a soccer jersey.

Actually, talk to Hectour about the tires we've got, maybe you should get those. I say ask him because he has a perf car and his opinion of the Conti DWS might sway you that way. Our tires are 540 treadwear and honestly, again for what your using them for, might be another option for you. Remember, your driving your S2000 on public roads on the Dragon and because your car is so awesome anyways, these tires might be able to handle what you throw at them. Maybe call the guys at Tire RACK and get their opinion on this option:shrug:

Imagine if the DWS' can handle what you throw at them, you wouldn't need tires for about 40-50k miles:cool:

trans.gif

I tried the free GPS deal, but the DW's are not expensive enough for the free tom tom deal .The tires have to cost $440 or more, and the DW's in my size are a little less than that.

The DW's are probably the least grippy tire I would be willing to go with. having tires rated for snow on an S2000 just seems wrong, so no DWS's. I am still kinda torn. The starspecs are the best choice and the DW's would be the most practical choice.

I tried the free GPS deal, but the DW's are not expensive enough for the free tom tom deal .The tires have to cost $440 or more, and the DW's in my size are a little less than that.

The DW's are probably the least grippy tire I would be willing to go with. having tires rated for snow on an S2000 just seems wrong, so no DWS's. I am still kinda torn. The starspecs are the best choice and the DW's would be the most practical choice.

As far as price goes, do they include road hazard on that, if not, that would raise the price a bit to get you that freebie. Now as far as tires rated for snow seeming "wrong", call Tire Rack and tell them how you use your car and you might be surprised at the answer. That being said, I'm sure the DW tire is an awesome tire for your car, but if not pushing it 10/10th, the DWS might get the job done AND last you longer, give the experts a call, it can't hurt.

I almost got the DW myself and would've used the stockers for snow duty, but I didn't and I'm sure I'll be ok with how the DWS performs on my ride, not comparing cars but Hectour's ride should be a good measuring stick for the tires in question:shrug:

As far as price goes, do they include road hazard on that, if not, that would raise the price a bit to get you that freebie. Now as far as tires rated for snow seeming "wrong", call Tire Rack and tell them how you use your car and you might be surprised at the answer. That being said, I'm sure the DW tire is an awesome tire for your car, but if not pushing it 10/10th, the DWS might get the job done AND last you longer, give the experts a call, it can't hurt.

I almost got the DW myself and would've used the stockers for snow duty, but I didn't and I'm sure I'll be ok with how the DWS performs on my ride, not comparing cars but Hectour's ride should be a good measuring stick for the tires in question:shrug:

You can't include road hazard or any other charges, so the free GPS deal won't work. All season tires on an S2000 is a pretty big sin, and suggesting them can lead to lightning striking you Roger.

You can't include road hazard or any other charges, so the free GPS deal won't work. All season tires on an S2000 is a pretty big sin, and suggesting them can lead to lightning striking you Roger.
LMAO!

I have all-seasons on my car and I am more traction-limited than you! It's called torque!

So far I have been really impressed with these tires. I think they have better grip than my older Continental all-seasons. Today I took my favorite on ramp at about 80 with room to spare. The rain traction is unbelieveable.

FWIW, these tires are "Z" speed rated too Randy, that should tell you something about them as well. I mean if you don't like them that's cool, but if your driving 40 miles a day for work and forgive me for not going back, I don't know if that was round trip or one way, but a 540 treadwear number is going to last you quite a while. I've been in Hectour's car with 4 of us doing, well let's say 4 o'clock (think about it) and those were all-seasons too, these are even better in his opinion and this is second set of Conti's in a row.

What did the guys at Tire Rack say....heck, what do the rest of you guys think?

Took the Daytona Coupe for its first drive around the neighborhood yesterday. Better have it pointed where you want it to go cause its gonna get there in a hurry.

Back