• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RaptorSVT's Official 3L Build Thread

RaptorSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Tonganoxie, KS. Don't blink! You'll miss it!!
Well, I am officially joining the SVT 3L club!

Background:

April 5, 2008.
Traveling South on I-435 to go home from an interview at 75 MPH my SVT sputters and dies. As safely and quickly as I can, I pull to the right shoulder.
After the car stops, I press in the clutch and hit the key.
*CLUNK*
Try again.
*CLUNK*

Damn. Call a tow truck.

4 1/2 months later, I move the 01 Escape 3L that I had purchased last year from my uncle's house to my mom and dad's where there is more room.

Tear the 2.5 apart and find cylinder #3 SHATTERED:shocked:
(Pics of 2.5 remains will be in my classifieds thread under performance.)
So on to the 3L build we go!

With MUCH help (and deep appreciation!) from Tommy (ksContourkid) we are ALMOST ready to get the 3L in. All we have to do is buy a couple more parts.

ON TO THE PICTARS!!!!

3L Hotness. ONLY 80K MILES AND IS THIS CLEAN!!
Project3L8.jpg

Project3L7.jpg

Project3L6.jpg

Project3L5.jpg

Project3L4.jpg

Project3L3.jpg

Project3L13.jpg

And now for a lil Preview of some Parkedcar goodness.
ParkedcarMockup2.jpg

ParkedcarMockup3.jpg

Damn 10 image rule...continued in next post.

Umm have fun putting in new shift cables. They're about $100 the last I checked. All you needed to do was undo the 2 nuts that hold the metal bracket to the trans. No need to F them up by taking them out.

So by the pics it looks like you are going with a cammed 3L:
-3L block
-3L heads
-SVT cams
-3L upper
-3L fuel rail & lim

The intake runners in the heads look clean, but the rest looks normal.
This is clean:
3Lbuild060.jpg

Wipe out that engine bay with soapy water a little bit :D

Hope it goes in easy for you, and order those shift cables :blackeye: Welcome (almost) to the 3L anterage(sp)

I don't see any porting and he said it is almost ready to go in :shrug:

Is he going to put the 80k motor in with the original crank bearings?

3L fords have been known to go for well over 200k miles with no crank bearing problems.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

As for the SVT cammed engine, no.

Tommy checked it out and we are doing a 100% straight 3L.

He said all internals are ok, and because I have a hookup at a local Ford dealer, the cables are only 80.

Also, the reason for the shift cable issues is that we (read I) forgot to double check that they were unbolted.

Oh, I was thinking this was your 3L like the one in your sig. WOOPS!
Start it up!

this is the one in his sig lol. he just decided otherwise at the last minute and hasnt changed it yet... HINT HINT

anyway. the engine isnt bad for 80k. I am going to attempt to put an escape intake on it. we will see how it goes.

Once he gets an alternator and shift cables we will put the sucker in.

if anyone has a taurus intake near kansas they want to part with cheaply please PM me or Jon (98contoursvt).

I have a taurus UIM in the classifieds for CHEAP! $35 shipped and it is yours. I also have POC and the wire harness for them for sale.

$60 shipped for all of it. 6 18k POCs, POC 3L wire harness, and '05 Taurus UIM. Send paypal to blu_fuz@yahoo.com and your address and I can send these out right away.

Umm have fun putting in new shift cables. They're about $100 the last I checked. All you needed to do was undo the 3 bolts that hold the metal bracket to the trans. No need to F them up by taking them out.
No kidding! Replacing the shifter cables is a big PITA!!! You do have the benefit of having the entire powertrain out though. Still have to drop all those damn heat shields though.:p

I wish you well on the rebuild/swap...

You don't have to drop heat shields. It's just hard cutting back the carpet and removing the 2 10mm nuts that hold em in the car. Have the stager feed them out and in to get through the hole and the shelf on the subframe. Yea bloody knuckles.

You don't have to drop heat shields. It's just hard cutting back the carpet and removing the 2 10mm nuts that hold em in the car. Have the stager feed them out and in to get through the hole and the shelf on the subframe. Yea bloody knuckles.

Appreciate the tip, todras. I am NOT looking forward to that, so I think I am going to get that part out of the way first. I am probably going to hit it hard and heavy next week if not this weekend. I have been runnin my ass off at work lately. Will keep y'all updated.

Oh, and fuz, I PM'd Rara about the siggy issue. The new forums isn't letting me change my sig without being a bish.

I too am having trouble with my sig update. It can't be more than 5 lines to keep down the posts length. I can't add "3L" to my sig :cry:

Back