• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

exhaust shop

mystiquevltwin

Hard-core CEG'er
so ive got this new exhaust, and sine we drive contiques...it has to be custom built.

DSC00321smaller.jpg

my question is, where should i take this to be done...and done well. if i take it to midus or someplace like that, chances are that they will rape me and the work will not be that great.

so, those of you with exhausts from the pittsburgh/surrounding areas....where did you take it??!

thanks for any help!

kev

it will be expensive because there are offsets for everything you are replacing, midas would do about $75 for the resonator and probably $175 for the striaght pipes.

maybe $150, but still think about it, its similar to the resonator replacement, and that alone is $75 so x2 for 2 mufflers and thats around $150+

custom exhausts would be easy if you were as strong as superman so you could bend exhaust pipe. but the fact is that exhausts shops (good ones) will buy a mandrel bending machine which is VERY expensive thats why they charge alot for bends.

If you need it pronto, just put some exhaust clamps on piping to hold you over till you can get the right price for the work.

maybe $150, but still think about it, its similar to the resonator replacement, and that alone is $75 so x2 for 2 mufflers and thats around $150+

custom exhausts would be easy if you were as strong as superman so you could bend exhaust pipe. but the fact is that exhausts shops (good ones) will buy a mandrel bending machine which is VERY expensive thats why they charge alot for bends.

ok...i think i need to explain what im wanting to do a little better here

first, i have a Zetec...i only used the picture of with the SVT/non-SVT exhausts as an example.

second, all i want to do it replace the current muffler (the piece closest to the catalytic converter (i dont know they proper name) with a magnaflow and then weld in a straight piece of pipe that will replace the muffler) i am keeping 90% of the stock exhaust.

i hope that clarifies what im wanting to do a little better

thank again

oh ok, so for a single exhaust, replacing the resonator with magnaflow and replacing the rear muffler with a straight pipe will be somewhere around $150 total maybe less maybe more.

oh ok, so for a single exhaust, replacing the resonator with magnaflow and replacing the rear muffler with a straight pipe will be somewhere around $150 total maybe less maybe more.

couldn't have said it any better myself :cool:

sounds reasonable...maybe some of the locals will chime in with some places to go to get this done

i wish i would have known you where doing this on friday as i just scraped my exhaust as i put svt pipes on mine. i gota 3 in chrome tip welded on for 40 cash and a glasspack in place of the resinator for 45 welded in. place in butler called iarrapino mufflers. the # is 725 285-muff and the other # is 725 282-5739. lol

i wish i would have known you where doing this on friday as i just scraped my exhaust as i put svt pipes on mine. i gota 3 in chrome tip welded on for 40 cash and a glasspack in place of the resinator for 45 welded in. place in butler called iarrapino mufflers. the # is 725 285-muff and the other # is 725 282-5739. lol

ahh...anyways its cool...ive already got the exhaust and everything i need...too bad though :(

how is was the quality of their work? the price seems pretty good too

Hey bud if you are willing to drive to milford PA I'm only ten mins from there and we'll do it at my house I'm a welder... up to you wouldnt mind helping a fellow ceger out besides lets face it we own these cars cause we love to tinker with them... LMK

Hey bud if you are willing to drive to milford PA I'm only ten mins from there and we'll do it at my house I'm a welder... up to you wouldnt mind helping a fellow ceger out besides lets face it we own these cars cause we love to tinker with them... LMK

hey man i appreciate the offer...but thats a little far for me :(

thanks though!

they are the go to shop in butler. every ricer goes there. lol they do good work and are pretty quick at it. i have never had any problems with them. they have done work on my last 3 cars..

Just a thought, but why not use a cat-back exhaust off of a regular v6 contique? I believe it bolts right up... I'm pretty sure the zetec exhaust piping is 1.75" and duratec is 2"...

I know SVT exhaust is 2.25" before the split and then 2" after the split...

You may want to post in zetec performance to make sure but IIRC that'd work... Should be dirt cheap too!

ok...so i took the car to meineke (thanks teamSVTour) and i had them weld in the resinator and it only cost me about $75...BUT they said that they could not remove the muffler due to PA state emission laws stating that there ha to be some sort of muffling on the car.

the exhaust is not nearly loud enough (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/AliasJerk/New%20exhaust/?action=view&current=102_0632.flv see ailiasJerk's same exhaust with NO muffler :drool:)

my question is, what can i do/put on the car to make it louder and still pass emission???

why cant i live in ohio :mad:

tia

ok...so i took the car to meineke (thanks teamSVTour) and i had them weld in the resinator and it only cost me about $75...BUT they said that they could not remove the muffler due to PA state emission laws stating that there ha to be some sort of muffling on the car.

the exhaust is not nearly loud enough (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/AliasJerk/New%20exhaust/?action=view&current=102_0632.flv see ailiasJerk's same exhaust with NO muffler :drool:)

my question is, what can i do/put on the car to make it louder and still pass emission???

tia

i have had my muffler remover by the shop i stated in this post. and i just had my svt ehaust put on at midus i think it was and they had no problem butting off what i wanted.

tia

glad to hear they did the work for cheap. The owner seems to do pretty good work but a bit of a Nazi when it comes to regulations and being by the book hense my header/exhaust predicament lol. Wonder if Midus will do headers :ponder:

Back