• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just checking in...question....

that little LTD rocks

i want to throw a cobra or lightning motor under (through) the hood of the vic.

Seriously, I don't think you realize yet how you and Cobra are like 2 peas in a pod, except he doesn't dig Budweiser as much as you do.

Hotdimmes jumped in after one of my posts sometime back to point out that it needed more reference to Budweiser and the 1980s. I put up a picture that incorporated the two in response -- a Bud coaster from the 1984 Olympics in LA. :cool:

Cobra -- The man's got good taste in cars, what can I say? :laugh:

I knew a family who had a 1983 LTD wagon. They bought it totalled in 1984, repaired it, and drove it till ~2000. I don't think I know anybody else who has owned a car that long.

ok ... maybe I should include "owned and driven daily for that long." :p
It was their family hauler and was in pristine condition, except that it occasionally broke down.

ahhh...thats a little different
but if it helps any the car has 225K on it as it sits and with a new starter it will run.

forget that, go with a tempo or a zetec atx contour, then go from there ...

edit: basically anything with a 4 cylinder that isn't FI. It was more then enough for me to get pulled over once or twice in my first few years of driving.

Ya. I'd say a CSVT is too "sporty" for a teen. I'm seventeen, and am very aware of the temptations. I have a Zetec ATX, and it is more than enough to get me around town. If he wants a project car, tell your son it is best to wait for his second car (assuming he makes his first one last at least a couple of years:laugh: ). This way, he will be a bit more mature, and will know a little better what a car is capable of. Good luck!

LOL!!

LOL!!

Hey, thanks for all the responses....I didn't realize the LTD would garner that type of response!

Yeah, I here ya about not getting that as a first car...it's a little too much, but, I would rather him buy something he and I are familiar with (e.g. Moose hang, TB cleaning, etc. etc) than a car we have to familiarize ourselves with from scratch....I told him to start saving now, and I'll try to match whatever he saves.

I came REALLY close to buying an SVT Lightning (one of the old skool 1994 models) last year, but couldn't swing the bank Loan...where I live, my car stands out like the proverbial "turd in the punchbowl" as well as being totally lacking in any sort of ground clearance. yeah, I know a Lightning isn't that much more practical, but, it does hav a bed and SOME ground clearance...LOL!

BTW, for any of you who saw my post on the Boobs thread and were left scratching their heads by part of my response, I am in the process of getting Divorced. It turns out that my soon-to-be ex-wife had quite a good time while I was on Active Duty a few years ago. Then, when I returned, she went back to school for her EMT....and summarily left me for a Firefighter. I know they say that "women like a man in a uniform" but I guess my Air Force one just wasn't cutting it any more:(

Last edited:
I drive a volvo 850 turbo now and i have to say i feel very safe in the car with the family and everything. I have seen some pretty bad totalled volvos and people tend to walk away unhurt for the most part. They are safe and reliable for kids learning to drive. Not to mention when that turbo kicks in they tend to take off :)

Matt

I think 5-cylinder motors have the same pitch as V8's. I'll ask my buddy, he has perfect pitch and can differentiate the pitch of a motor based on how many RPM's/cylinders/cylinder configuration.

That a pretty sweet station wagon back in the day, .

Back in the day??? ;) Well i think its a lot better then the 1996 4cycl Contour that i had before, probably twice the horse power and defently 3 times the space :) Yeah volvos defently have a distant sound to them.

Matt

not to mention volvo wagons are the best looking things since women.

You get the award for strange tastes. And this is coming from me. You'd have thought I'd have won it, given my love of four-eye Thunderbirds and Cougars, 302 powered Fairmonts, and the like.

DSC_0701.jpg

stealthy

498_1162260615.jpg

Back