• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Project - Hip Replacement -

I have cash in hand for a billet-polished set like shown...

This is pretty awesome. Out of curiosity, did you do any force analysis to design these, or just base it off of experience/research? Also, wouldn't cast aluminum cause a problem down the road with fatigue cracks and what not?

We have not run a simple FEA test on the bars as of yet. It's something we are looking to do in the future for fun as well as for comparison sake, but because we never plugged in the dimensions we pulled from the OEM bar and didn't figure any kinematic numbers, we have nothing to really base the test off of. Besides CosmosXpress isn't the greatest software available for testing those things and it would only really touch on the subject. :)
You don't really need a computer to tell you that the weakest link in the OEM bars is the tabs if the sway bar is applying a twisting force.

I'm actually less leery of fatigue cracks with a casting piece just because of the little tid bits I've picked up from my friend who deals in castings and design on a daily basis. There is no "wingin it" through him and in all honesty, I can see him pulling a casting sample from a ZR1 Vette control arm and having it analyzed just so he knows the chemical properties and alloys used to make up the casting.

We have not run a simple FEA test on the bars as of yet. It's something we are looking to do in the future for fun as well as for comparison sake, but because we never plugged in the dimensions we pulled from the OEM bar and didn't figure any kinematic numbers, we have nothing to really base the test off of. Besides CosmosXpress isn't the greatest software available for testing those things and it would only really touch on the subject. :)
You don't really need a computer to tell you that the weakest link in the OEM bars is the tabs if the sway bar is applying a twisting force.

I'm actually less leery of fatigue cracks with a casting piece just because of the little tid bits I've picked up from my friend who deals in castings and design on a daily basis. There is no "wingin it" through him and in all honesty, I can see him pulling a casting sample from a ZR1 Vette control arm and having it analyzed just so he knows the chemical properties and alloys used to make up the casting.

Coming from my sae baja experience, I know all about Cosmos' Fairly Erroneous Analysis :crazy: I meant more along the lines of hand calculations. You certainly have give me some ideas for next year's baja car :cool:

I would think if you could machine enough of them to get the price down to $250-$450, you'd have quite a few buyers (me included)

dude thats not gonna happen. and even at that price, starving college kids driving SVT's cant afford that. thats just the way it is. just stop talking about a GB. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

dude thats not gonna happen. and even at that price, starving college kids driving SVT's cant afford that. thats just the way it is. just stop talking about a GB. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

WOW! I've never known you to be this rude! If there was Not going to be a group buy, why was there talk about casting these to save $$$?????

Sorry for being interested in a product that a fellow CEG'er is making. I guess I should unsubscribe from this thread as you probably don't want me to even look at what he is doing :blackeye:

Why do I sense a repeat of the guy constantly asking for a mold to be made of the Mondeo front bumper that CrazyTalk did.

Did some stuff, to some things.

Internal snap ring is missing from this equation/picture (haven't ordered them yet):

071.jpg

The snap ring will be put into this machined groove once the swivel bearing and misalignment spacers are pressed in:

074.jpg

Swivel bearing with misalignment spacer with the dog bone endlink just to show a bit of the articulation. Not sure if I will upgrade the dog bones due to the fact they are brand spankin' new OEMs:

068.jpg

Endlink bushings, misalignment spacers, and swivel bearings are all hardened stainless items. Stainless was used to cut down on the electrogalvanic corrosion. Bearing and bushings just resting in their places:

073.jpg

072.jpg

Back