• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Cams

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Alright, so i was roaming around on ZXTuner.com and was looking at the cams they have availible. All of the cams say 98-00 for the Zetecs. I was wondering what the difference is between the pre 98's and post 98's. I was thinking that while i'm replacing my timing belt, i may as well throw some cams on cuz they arent all that expensive and would be kinda fun. Was also thinking about putting on the thinner head gasket to up the compression ratio a little bit.

So basically what i want to know is, will the cams work, and is the added .2 of a compression ratio really worth the money and effort? (i'll be doing all the work myself) IF they dont work from zxtuner, would the ones from steedafocus.com work?

all of them say non svt, but say 98-00... on steedafocus, it says 00-05, or something like that. Did the non SVT Focus have VCT? i cant remember.

these say requires lash caps???
http://zxtuner.com/product.sc?productId=286&categoryId=24

and these you can just put right in...
http://www.steedafocus.com/store/20...a-Camshafts---Radical-Grind/product_info.html

any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

wait, now that i read your post a little closer, what you saying is the Focus cams are what i'll need to get, correct?

Recognize that you will still need to change up your shims or tappets depending on what you have. The lash caps mentioned are to merely keep the head within the normal shim RANGE once the base circle is made smaller for more lift. You still have to custom shim each valve since you have changed to different cams.

Uh, .2 point more compression not worth paying for. Within the boundaries of normal variance motor to motor. Careful cam degreeing easily will top that.

You would get more of a boost from shaving the head down until it is a interference motor, then changing timing belts every 50k.

true, but i'd like to keep it a non interference engine, but i guess with the cams and the thinner head gasket, that'll probably make it an interference engine anyways. i've had the car for about 50K already and the belt is in great shape. I'm guessing it's better to be save than sorry, and when doing the belt i may as well put cams in, and get it all done at one time.

shave the head, thinner headgasket, cams, and new belt ever 50k. it is a lot easier to do the belt when the cams are still in time.

shave the head, thinner headgasket, cams, and new belt ever 50k. it is a lot easier to do the belt when the cams are still in time.

That would make some power, but the problem is that the car is my daily driver. I was planning on doing it over the weekend. Take it apart at the shop starting Friday night after work, have my girl friend pick me up and bring me back on Saturday and Sunday to finish it up. I doubt the machine shop is open on the weekends. Even so, with the cams, thinner head gasket, adjustible cam gears, adjustible fuel pressure regulator, UDP, intake and exhaust, the car should make some pretty decent power. Possibly put me in SVT territory when it comes to 1/4 mile times.

Not quite. Stock injectors max out at 125hp worth of fuel, you would need bigger injectors and a tune to get into SVT territory. You should be a little faster than a stock V6 due to weight. However you will probably put 115 to the wheels.

Not quite. Stock injectors max out at 125hp worth of fuel, you would need bigger injectors and a tune to get into SVT territory. You should be a little faster than a stock V6 due to weight. However you will probably put 115 to the wheels.

with everything i listed and bigger injectors? 115? Striker2 put down 122 with an intake, exhaust, UDP, and FPR. I was thinking with the cams, and thinner head gasket and injectors, around 135-140

with everything i listed and bigger injectors? 115? Striker2 put down 122 with an intake, exhaust, UDP, and FPR. I was thinking with the cams, and thinner head gasket and injectors, around 135-140
No, with just the work you listed the injectors will hold you back. injectors plus a tune should get you in the 150 range.

damn, thats like slightly modded SVT range. maybe i should port the head while i have it off, optimize the TB, and get a header. Couldnt imagine what a Turbo would be like on top of that.

are 19lb injectors enough, or would i need the 24lb?

150 hp at the wheel is slightly modified SE power ....

also iirc the stock injectors are 19# injectors too.

pretty sure you guys have your hp numbers and times way over estimated.

I could have sworn stock injectors were 17# in pre98's, damn search function doesn't give me an answer. If they are 19# then it won't be anywhere near that high as BrApple said.

stock Zetec injectors are 17#. as was stated, i made 122WHP on intake/exhaust/FPR with the stock injectors and over 200K miles. the car consistently ran in the mid 16s, unfortunately i dont have any of the time slips anymore or i would post one up.

stock Zetec injectors are 17#. as was stated, i made 122WHP on intake/exhaust/FPR with the stock injectors and over 200K miles. the car consistently ran in the mid 16s, unfortunately i dont have any of the time slips anymore or i would post one up.
IIRC 17# Injectors limit to 125hp crank..You have a good motor. Lucky. If you are making 122 at the wheels then you have to be in the 140 range at the crank.

Back