• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Cams

do they have air filters for the ITB setup?every time i see them, they're just the TB's just sitting there w/o any kind of filter. Is there a kit for the ITB setup or is it something that has to be custome made? i've always loved the way they look, sound, and perform.

Ok, sorry for the major thread jack, but just so everyone is enlightened, to say that cars have a 15% drivetrain loss on a dyno is inaccurate. There are many variables in the equation. Striker2 is the closest so far. I've read (from Modified Mag) that drivetrain losses for a FWD car are significantly lower than that of AWD and RWD cars (RWD cars have common losses of 6%-11%) because of the more direct torque path to the front wheels and the use of more efficient helical final drive gears - as much as 50% lower. If I have read correctly, FWD cars would have a drivetrain loss of 3.5%-6%. Shocking, yes. I'll try to scan the article tomorrow. Now, that is not a solid number. There are still the factors of friction, thrust force, angular acceleration, windage, drag etc. Now I could be wrong with the 3.5%-6% loss (though I know it is lower), so when I scan the article and someone sees I made a mistake, I will be more than happy to know the right answer.

Anyway in conclusion, to say that certain cars have a fixed drivetrain loss is inaccurate. You can kind of estimate it, but you will never have a true horsepower at the crank rating, unless you get your engine dyno'd.

/end threadjack.

Actually, now that I've read one of KennyT's post's, he too was kind of close.

do they have air filters for the ITB setup?every time i see them, they're just the TB's just sitting there w/o any kind of filter. Is there a kit for the ITB setup or is it something that has to be custome made? i've always loved the way they look, sound, and perform.

It depends. Yes I've seen some ITB's with some sort of filtration system, and I've seen some without. There are some with an airbox over it, some with a more wire screen, some with more of an air filter and some without any at all. You could always do something custom after to create a type of filtration system.

Ok, sorry for the major thread jack, but just so everyone is enlightened, to say that cars have a 15% drivetrain loss on a dyno is inaccurate. There are many variables in the equation. Striker2 is the closest so far. I've read (from Modified Mag) that drivetrain losses for a FWD car are significantly lower than that of AWD and RWD cars (RWD cars have common losses of 6%-11%) because of the more direct torque path to the front wheels and the use of more efficient helical final drive gears - as much as 50% lower. If I have read correctly, FWD cars would have a drivetrain loss of 3.5%-6%. Shocking, yes. I'll try to scan the article tomorrow. Now, that is not a solid number. There are still the factors of friction, thrust force, angular acceleration, windage, drag etc. Now I could be wrong with the 3.5%-6% loss (though I know it is lower), so when I scan the article and someone sees I made a mistake, I will be more than happy to know the right answer.

Anyway in conclusion, to say that certain cars have a fixed drivetrain loss is inaccurate. You can kind of estimate it, but you will never have a true horsepower at the crank rating, unless you get your engine dyno'd.

/end threadjack.

Actually, now that I've read one of KennyT's post's, he too was kind of close.

there is another way to determine how much BHP a given engine makes, instead of having to pull your engine and hook it to an engine dyno. while you are on a dyno, you make the WOT pull in 4th (or whatever the 1:1 gear set is) and then instead of pushing in the clutch and using the brakes to slow the drums, you engine brake. the dyno software can then use the time it takes to bring the drum speeds down to calculate your BHP.

as for the rest of your statement, i would have to see that article. if you know what issue it is or the title of the article you should be able to find it online.

there is another way to determine how much BHP a given engine makes, instead of having to pull your engine and hook it to an engine dyno. while you are on a dyno, you make the WOT pull in 4th (or whatever the 1:1 gear set is) and then instead of pushing in the clutch and using the brakes to slow the drums, you engine brake. the dyno software can then use the time it takes to bring the drum speeds down to calculate your BHP.

as for the rest of your statement, i would have to see that article. if you know what issue it is or the title of the article you should be able to find it online.

The magazine is May '10, Vol. 9, No.5. Now, like I said, I may be wrong in some of my calculations as I'm sure there are people way smarter than me on here, but the other stuff I pretty much copied right out of the magazine 1' away from me.

And yes, you are correct with the engine braking statement. Coast down with the clutch not depressed to measure frictional losses and what not.

hm... i'm still kinda confused about the car not running close to the same 1/4 mile times as SVT's with all that work... i'd think with the ITB setup i'd be down to low 15's or even 14's if you're saying it'd make 200 hp. Cuz with about 200 hp at the crank, you're looking at what? 165-170 at the wheels in a car that weighs less...

hm... i'm still kinda confused about the car not running close to the same 1/4 mile times as SVT's with all that work... i'd think with the ITB setup i'd be down to low 15's or even 14's if you're saying it'd make 200 hp. Cuz with about 200 hp at the crank, you're looking at what? 165-170 at the wheels in a car that weighs less...

Read both mine and striker2's statements to do with hp rating's on dyno's. And I'm not a true expert with 1/4 mile.. I'm more of a circuit racing guy :).

The magazine is May '10, Vol. 9, No.5. Now, like I said, I may be wrong in some of my calculations as I'm sure there are people way smarter than me on here, but the other stuff I pretty much copied right out of the magazine 1' away from me.

And yes, you are correct with the engine braking statement. Coast down with the clutch not depressed to measure frictional losses and what not.

got an article name? I can never seem to find anything on their website without knowing the exact article. :troutslap:

According to the article, yes. It is an interesting read and was written with the help of the SAE (Society of Automobile Engineers), so it isn't just one person's opinion. If striker can't find the article, I'll just scan it tomorrow.

The type of fluid does play a factor in it all. There also a LOT of other things too, but I would say that yes synthetic would help the drivetrain be more efficient. It wouldn't be a huge impact, not like 2-3% or anything, but it would help.

right, i knew it wouldnt be drastic. I'm currently running amsoil full synthetic in the trans and Mobil 1 in the engine.

Yeah. So that'll help be more efficient, If I am correct. It's kind of a bummer to read that if you really care about hp lol. But I'll be sure to scan it and post it in Common Interests. Either that, or you could just buy the Magazine :). It is a good magazine.. straight up tech and cars. It's my fav magazine out there.

Lol cool :cool:. There are always good articles, info and cars in there. I've subscribed to the magazine with no regrets.

I'd love to see you do some ITB's. That would be one bad ass zetec :cool:. I have some pics of an SVTF with ITB's on my other computer. I know that the SVTF zetec engine is different, but still cool none-the-less. It's seriously bad ass! I'll post them up tomorrow.

That'd be awesome. I'm just trying to make my Zetec more fun to drive until i get the 'real' car done... The Tempo haha.

a lot of that stuff is probably gonna be after i get my Tempo done. I know i want the light weight flywheel, and head work. Right now though i'm just going for semi-easy bolt ons. But yea, i'm really interested in buiding one of the fastest Zetec powered Contour/Mystiques. It'll probably be a couple years until i can do what i want, but for now, i wouldnt have a problem trying to break into the low 15's N/A with minimal work.

Back