• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Cams

Oh yeah dude, wasn't trying to pressure you into doing all that NOW lol. That would be pretty awesome to have a Contour/Mystique with a serious N/A build. If you do all that that was in that thread, expect around 160 whp... Going by a dyno of a couple of dudes who had done that stuff.

That would be awesome to do a full N/A build. i found a stroker kit for the 2.0 also, but thats 3400 bucks. would make for one hell of a quick N/A Zetec powered Mystique. Turbo would be more fun though...

a lot of that stuff is probably gonna be after i get my Tempo done. I know i want the light weight flywheel, and head work. Right now though i'm just going for semi-easy bolt ons. But yea, i'm really interested in buiding one of the fastest Zetec powered Contour/Mystiques. It'll probably be a couple years until i can do what i want, but for now, i wouldnt have a problem trying to break into the low 15's N/A with minimal work.

Breaking into the 15s is going to be more than "minimal work." And then, you have a car running high 15s. For less work, money, and time, you could get a stock MTX Duratec and you'd already be running high 15s. But it's your money to waste.

Breaking into the 15s is going to be more than "minimal work." And then, you have a car running high 15s. For less work, money, and time, you could get a stock MTX Duratec and you'd already be running high 15s. But it's your money to waste.

Thats your opinion when you say waste.... and i doubt its going to be A LOT of work for the car to break into the 15's. I'm running high 16's with next to no traction in first gear, and the beginning of second (running stock 185/70R14's) and thats just with an intake, exhaust and gutted back half of the interior. so i'm thinking with bigger injectors, cams, fuel pressure regulator, underdrive pully (which was installed yesterday), and a few other odds and ends like wider tires, adjustible cam gears and a tune, it should be running 15's no problem. Sure the Duratec can run 15's, but that'll also take some work to get them to run that quick unless you get an SVT. And whats the point of that? its a lot more fun to build than buy in my opinion. Plus i'll have a Ford Tempo what will be running low 15's or high 14's by next summer.

Thats your opinion when you say waste.... and i doubt its going to be A LOT of work for the car to break into the 15's. I'm running high 16's with next to no traction in first gear, and the beginning of second (running stock 185/70R14's) and thats just with an intake, exhaust and gutted back half of the interior. so i'm thinking with bigger injectors, cams, fuel pressure regulator, underdrive pully (which was installed yesterday), and a few other odds and ends like wider tires, adjustible cam gears and a tune, it should be running 15's no problem.

Yes, no work at all.

Sure the Duratec can run 15's, but that'll also take some work to get them to run that quick unless you get an SVT. And whats the point of that? its a lot more fun to build than buy in my opinion. Plus i'll have a Ford Tempo what will be running low 15's or high 14's by next summer.

1. Your post assumes you can't "build" a Duratec or SVT. Unless your end goal is low 15s, there's plenty of building to do. You're justifying the fact that you're starting off with ••••.

2. Congrats, you'll still get beat by most family sedans made today.

you have to be a damn good driver to hit 15's with a non SVT Duratec, its highly unlikely unless you have perfect conditions, hook up just right and you're at 0 elevation.

and no, i'm not saying Duratecs cant be built up. There are 2.5's that are running in the 13's with turbo's and 3.0's running 13's N/A. So yea, i know duratecs CAN be built up. But so can the Zetecs! there are Zetec Focus's out there running 14's all day long. With enough work, an N/A Zetec can be as fast as a mildly modded Duratec.

Also, the cams would just be the beginning of the building up of the engine. There are still plenty of mods to be done, such as different rods, pistons, lightweight flywheel, intake manifold, header, head, etc. So what if ther are SOME family sedans that are faster, its not about them, its about making my car faster. So far i've improved the car alot, from running a 0-60 time of 13 seconds, to running in just over 9 seconds. Still, yea i know its not fast, but its FUN. Thats why i'm doing it.

Oh, and BTW, what do you drive?

haha yea, i wasnt going to go there. i think i did see one video of a Zetec Focus running in the 11's.

Also, do you know that if i swap over to a Focus oil pan, would i be able to run a Focus header?

I haven't seen where it contacts, but would it be easy to modify the oil pan at all? Might be easier to modify the oil pan rather than modify the header :shrug:

the sump in the pan is all the way on the passenger side (front) of the engine. there is only about 2-3" of clearance there now between the subframe and the non-sump portion of the Contour pan. you might be able to notch the subframe a little, but considering you pretty much have to either lower the subframe or raise the engine to remove the stock pan, i dont think its going to be able to fit. not without a lot of work anyways. it would be easier to just buy the weapon R cougar header or make your own.

Well, you didn't disappoint me with that answer, because I wasn't expecting a better one, ROFL. The WR Cougar header is tough to find with good quality though. Oh well.

great info, Thanks!

Edit: the weapon r headers come with 2 o2s holes and no egr tube hole. I only have one o2s and have an egr valve on the car.

Back