• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing Akron, Ohio May 19-22, 2011

How far is that from Akron?
BeaverRun is only 1 hr. from Akron. Easy drive, straight Turnpike and they do nice events called Flat-out Fridays where you just get to have some fun on the course for a reasonable rate.
Let me know if you want me to call them and I can do next week.
-J

This place would be about 45min from Akron. They also do open events called Fun Days, $130 for track time. Looking at their previous schedules it looks like they hold their first Fun Day mid May each year. If I dont hear back from them in the next couple of days Ill shoot you a PM.

Thanks! :cool:

General Information
We, here at Nelson, want your FunDays experience to be as pleasant as possible and we take every precaution to ensure that. We ask that all FunDays participants adhere to the following general rules in addition to our FunDays driving rules.•ALCOHOL IS NOT PERMITTED.
•Absolutely no aggression/road rage is tolerated. One warning is given then you will be asked to leave the property.
•Track time will be between 20-25 minutes per session. This is for your safety.
•A helmet is required. (Snell approved motorcycle is OK)
•All open cars and convertibles must have a roll bar, reinforced factory rollover protection; similar to a Porsche Boxter or BMW M3.
•Proper attire is required. This is defined as sleeved shirt, closed-toe shoes and long pants. NO shorts, tank or halter- tops, sandals or open-toed shoes are allowed; shoulders, legs and feet must be covered. Again, this is for your safety.
•We do allow a passenger, over the age of 18 and helmeted, in the car with you.
•There is a Drivers Meeting prior to the beginning of the FunDay. This is important, so please attend.
•For your safety, it is important to listen and comply with track personnel.
•Please check your car thoroughly prior to going on the track or have a mechanic do so prior to coming to the track. Check brakes, brake line, hoses, cooling system, tires, power steering system etc. Under track conditions, belts and hoses do break, so do not take a chance on missing the day with a broken part.
•All participants must be over 18 yrs old, carry a valid driver’s license, and have current auto insurance.
•We reserve the right to refuse service.

FunDays were created for the amateur sports car enthusiast; low performance cars and club racers. People that have always wanted to experience the thrill of "On Track" driving but in a safe, controlled atmosphere are welcome to attend.FunDays are perfect for clubs and groups that want to have a track day without the hassle of setting up rental, insurance and all the other things that go with it. Additionally, if you are an SCCA driver and you have a car you need to shake down, you are more than welcome to come to a FunDay, just be aware who and what will be on the Track with you, as our concern is for the safety of all who participate.Please note that no open wheel cars will be permitted unless prior arrangements have been made with Track Management.Be sure to read our FunDays General Information and the FunDays Driving Rules in preparation for attending a FunDay.Check the Nelson Ledges schedule frequently to find out about FunDays on our calendar. While there is no pre-registration for FunDays, we do recommend that you call the track at 440.548.8551 or check the website to confirm, as dates are subject to change.On FunDays, gates open at 8 A.M. Track time is 10 A.M. to 4 P.M., with a half-hour break taken for workers.The cost to participate in FunDays is as follows:
$130.00 / per driver
All fees are payable by cash or check.
(A $30.00 fee will be applied on any check that is returned NSF)Fees are non-refundable, however under certain circumstances rain checks may be issued at the discretion of Track Management.

Cool, yeah I checked it out after I posted, that is close.
At least there's a possible back-up also close, good to have.
Keep us posted on the planning and if you need any help.
-J

I wish Nelsons Ledges would get back to me so I can post the dates already!!!!

....might just have to post the dates and hope things work out according to their previous years schedules :shrug:

I just heard back from Nelsons Ledges, its obviously too early for them to have their Fun Days planned out. They schedule the actual race days, then schedule the Fun Days with the Fridays that are left over.

They did say if things didnt work out schedule wise they would be able to come up with an economical solution for a Thursday event. :cool:

I have edited the first post in this thread with the offical dates for Spring Zing 2011, I scoped out some hotels in the area yesterday. As of right now the Holiday Inn West Akron is in the lead, I should have the hotel location finalized in the next couple weeks. Below is a link to the Holiday Inn

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/akron/cakfr/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=mdpr-_-googlemaps-_-hi-_-cakfr
SOB---I have a licensing exam 5/21 so the only day I can make is possible Sunday :cry:
Here's the ironic part....the test is in Rochester, MN so the MN SZ could have worked :blackeye: :laugh:
Oh well, can't believe it turned out that weekend, bummer.
-J

SOB---I have a licensing exam 5/21 so the only day I can make is possible Sunday :cry:
Here's the ironic part....the test is in Rochester, MN so the MN SZ could have worked :blackeye: :laugh:
-J

Bummer! the following weekend is memorial day, and any earlier and it usually conflicts with the college crowd in regards to exams/finals

-J

You DICK!!!!! LOL. Rochester is nice....stay at the marriot downtown. It was only $100/night for us since it was a government rate, but you might be able to get a deal. Good places to eat. Victoria's for Italian (very good good). Mac's for Greek (more cafe like though). And I think it is Micheals for steak. And for the love of all that is holy, don't spend the night at the Days Inn downtown.

I wonder if they let us take a tour of the Ford Engine plant off of 71 seeing that all the engines were made there

I wonder if they let us take a tour of the Ford Engine plant off of 71 seeing that all the engines were made there

Thats the plan, I have searched online a little bit....they have offered tours recently of Engine plant No.1 from what I can gather Engine Plant No. 2 was where the duratec's came from. Engine plant No. 2 is currently closed, and EcoBoost is in Engine Plant No. 1.

If anyone has some contacts at Ford I can email in regards to setting up this tour please PM me. A lot of the people I know that worked there got transfered to Chicago to work at the Explorer plant.

Thats the plan, I have searched online a little bit....they have offered tours recently of Engine plant No.1 from what I can gather Engine Plant No. 2 was where the duratec's came from. Engine plant No. 2 is currently closed, and EcoBoost is in Engine Plant No. 1.

If anyone has some contacts at Ford I can email in regards to setting up this tour please PM me. A lot of the people I know that worked there got transfered to Chicago to work at the Explorer plant.

Maybe Rara can get some contact info.

Please keep us updated, if you get a track day and the weekend works I will come. I have some family in the area it sounds like fun. How about mid-ohio always wanted to run there?

Rob

Back