• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pic says it all

well I don't know what to say. the car is a hit. down at the pike tonight I had a bunch of people stop and look at m car. Seems Jared talked my car up and it didn't disappoint. I even had a guy with a turbo 350Z as me to race him. I also got the "thats a contour" with a puzzled look on the persons face. :crazy:

The cooled weather was much needed and the car ran very well. However there is still an imbalance in the engine ...

well I don't know what to say. the car is a hit. down at the pike tonight I had a bunch of people stop and look at m car. Seems Jared talked my car up and it didn't disappoint. I even had a guy with a turbo 350Z as me to race him. I also got the "thats a contour" with a puzzled look on the persons face. :crazy:

The cooled weather was much needed and the car ran very well. However there is still an imbalance in the engine ...

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF where the hell were u guys??? i saw the cougar 1 time and when i went back to dd no1 was there....

Turbos love the cold weather. My Mazdaspeed aboslutely eats the cold weather up.

still at a complete loss here about what is going on ... I thought I was onto something last night but I am not sure now. After looking at a number of data logs I noticed what I thought was a patern. I noted that the stock 3L had good fuel trims. Now when I upgraded the fuel system and installed the first tune it appears the fuel trims where alittle off but for the most part the same. Later logs showed a greater difference at idle.

So I went back to my first tune. man was it running rich. even more so then I remember at the time. I checked with my Auterra OBDII soeftware and it showed me short term trims that where about the same. The long term trims where not to far off either. the one time the long term trim was off was one of the first time I let it idle for a while. I check it later and it was fine. But I have been reviewing the data logs today and the difference in trims still might be more then I thought.

It ran great on this tune. there was plenty of power, more so then before. It wanted to just spin 1st, 2nd and 3rd when I really got on it in the boost. it hadn't been like that recently.

So I thought all was well until later last night. I was running down the highway and I went a around a RX-7. The guy didn't like that so he came right up on my ass, like I couldn't see his headlights close. So as soon as the lane openned up I downshifter to 4th and punched it. well I look back as I fly away and all I see is a hugh plum of smoke in light from the headlights behind me :shocked:. I immediately upshifted and let off. I think there was alittle smoke when I took off from the light on the off ramp but after that I didn't notice anymore ..... I am really hoping that it was just because it was running rich, but I don't really have a way to tell .... however it never stalled and it idled fine afterwards, and it would fire right back up .... but I need to check it today.

talk about disheartening again ... I really hope I didn't break or ruin anything ...

Last edited:
didn't drive the car today but i don't believe there are any ill effects from last night.

I tried blocking the egr on a suggestion and the trims didn't match but I didn't drive the car either. one bank was 0 to 2% and the other was 0 to -2%. I need to data log to see whats up.

Other then that I got a good suggestion on how to make the bov seal over the weekend. I good coating of grease on the slide mechanism just about sealed the top of the valve. have to see how that turns out also ...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a good time at the strip! :cool:

If the grease does not fix the BOV issue, I can let you borrow my BOV for testing. If it does the trick you can make me an offer or send it back. I also have new axle nuts if you need those. I'm dealing with some issues myself. Hopefully relocating the EGR and using a recirculating valve will clear my CELs.

If the grease does not fix the BOV issue, I can let you borrow my BOV for testing. If it does the trick you can make me an offer or send it back. I also have new axle nuts if you need those. I'm dealing with some issues myself. Hopefully relocating the EGR and using a recirculating valve will clear my CELs.

it worked great until the valve openned the first time. I think I will try some more.

So Friday night I swappped the stock injectors back in and bypassed the turbo with the stock intake and maf and did alittle data logging to figure out where the issue maybe. so I am waiting to see if the issues with the bank inbalance went away or is still there.

it maybe fixed .... waiting to hear what NPG has to say about the data logs I got last night.

So I re-installed the 42# injectors, swapping them from bank to bank. Got the latest tune loaded back up and after driving for near an hour I noted that 95% of the time the short term fuel trims where the same. during cruise conditions the trims lined up and the wideband was reading ~14.7. this is telling me that the pcm is commanding the correct amount of fuel for a stoich combustion process. only time the trims didn't match was say after letting off the gas from accelerating. It also had good power last night. flooring it in second starting at 4 krpm just spun the wheels. Also the intercooler works very well. It was 68 out and with all the heat the turbo engine makes the intake temp was ~80 degrees.

so I need to do more logging over this week to make sure the trims on a test tune truely remain the same.

Sounds awesome - the datalogging you can do yourself seems pretty sweet. Keep tracking the gremlins so this runs good for a long time :)

ran the car again some tonight. it was better then it has been but not as good as yesterday. But then again it was alot more humid out today also.

so I will run on the testing tune for another few days then try the tune again.

almost forgot, the wastegate gaskets blew out again and its leaking there so it isn't making boost as fast anymore ... so I suppose that is tonights project ...

almost forgot, the wastegate gaskets blew out again and its leaking there so it isn't making boost as fast anymore ... so I suppose that is tonights project ...

you need to get that fixed properly...take off the down pipe and y-pipe and do it right. Either that, or get the metal gaskets...

it maybe fixed .... waiting to hear what NPG has to say about the data logs I got last night.

might be a little while, I spoke to Joey last night and they had to evacuate due to the hurricane...said he heard there was damage done to his car as well...

might be a little while, I spoke to Joey last night and they had to evacuate due to the hurricane...said he heard there was damage done to his car as well...

yes I read that, believe he posted that over on neco so I understand and don't have a problem waiting to hear from him. Just hopefully it can be looked at before the 27th when I go to the dyno ...

but on a side note, I know why it isn't making the boost that it was at part throttle. both wastegate gaskets started to blow out and where leaking.

I also noted that oil seems to be leaking out of the turbo past the turbine housing. I also found alot of play in the turbine side bearing ...

so right now half of it is out of the car. turbo and down pipe are on the ground. going to pull the up-pipe also so I can have greg weld in another o2 sensor bung in a better location.

hope to have it all back together saturday ...

yes I read that, believe he posted that over on neco so I understand and don't have a problem waiting to hear from him. Just hopefully it can be looked at before the 27th when I go to the dyno ...

no problem, I don't typically go on neco, so didn't know he already posted something...

but on a side note, I know why it isn't making the boost that it was at part throttle. both wastegate gaskets started to blow out and where leaking.

I also noted that oil seems to be leaking out of the turbo past the turbine housing. I also found alot of play in the turbine side bearing ...

so right now half of it is out of the car. turbo and down pipe are on the ground. going to pull the up-pipe also so I can have greg weld in another o2 sensor bung in a better location.

hope to have it all back together saturday ...

I remember earlier someone posted that most of your problems were probably related to an intake or exhaust leak...since everything is out, really make sure everything is nice and tight. :)

How many sets of wastegate gaskets is this? From my count, it's atleast 3:shocked:

yup, original two blew out. now both replacements I put in went.

I do know one bolt loosened up a bit. its the one that can not be reached with the rest of the exhaust installed.

so what happened was the paper over the metal gave out so air could leak past. maybe I should see what happens when just using high temp sealer :ponder:

so anyway Greg is welding in another O2 bung this afternoon to get the B1S2 O2 sensor up and out of the way of the road more. then I will be putting everything back together and trying the new tune Joey sent me.

its the one that can not be reached with the rest of the exhaust installed.

so what happened was the paper over the metal gave out so air could leak past. maybe I should see what happens when just using high temp sealer :ponder:

I hate to be a nag, but it can be reached with a really long t-handle allen wrench with the ball end (I got mine at Sears) that has been slightly ground down...I'm not sure if I would try it without a gasket, especially since you haven't been able to tighten it all the down in the past. At least a gasket would help fill the gap. Install the down pipe, wastegate, and y-pipe outside of the car and you'll be fine, but don't install it until you know its tight.

Back