• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pic says it all

I hate to be a nag, but it can be reached with a really long t-handle allen wrench with the ball end (I got mine at Sears) that has been slightly ground down...I'm not sure if I would try it without a gasket, especially since you haven't been able to tighten it all the down in the past. At least a gasket would help fill the gap. Install the down pipe, wastegate, and y-pipe outside of the car and you'll be fine, but don't install it until you know its tight.

I do have a ball type t-handle allen wrench, but the one bolt is dificult to get to with the rest of the exhaust installed. I can get to the other three this way and they have been remaining tight.

I used gaskets for my wastegate from himini.com and they have never burnt out or blew out. Up to 11psi.

If you wanted to spend some $$ remflex.com will make custom carbon based gaskets. I use one on my turbo/downpipe flange as one of the 5 bolts is not utilized with the ADC setup. They have a nice crush feature that seals really well.

If you try to just use hi-temp sealant it will eventually burn out, all of mine did. I used the orange/copper permatex stuff. Especially when used under the turbo blanket. The extra heat held in there made it brittle real fast.

well progress is being made again. Thanks to Greg again there is another O2 sensor bung on the up pipe. this time its out of the way of the road :blackeye:. I cut new wastegate gaskets. I made them even more oversize. I also happened to have the correct hole saw so that openning is smooth. I also didn't use any sealer or gasket maker incase that was making it weaker in some way. I assembled the up and down pipe outside of the car so the wastegate is very tight. I also used red locke tight on the bolts so hopefully that helps keep everything together. Its a tight fit but the piping is also back into the car and loosely bolted up.

taking a rest/dinner break and I should have it all wrapped up tonight. I need to reinstall the oil drain and then the turbo. Then all that is left in the intake piping, oil feed and a new tune.

sounds like you're being more methodical in your assembly, hope it holds this time, although I'm not too sure about the idea of not using gasket sealer...good luck, Brian, I know you're trying hard to get this thing fixed. :)

lots of extensions. swivels, and an allen socket?

if only it were that simple...there is barely room for anything to fit, let alone just an allen wrench...you can't even switch to a hex head bolt because there's no more room on the flange.

sounds like you're being more methodical in your assembly, hope it holds this time, although I'm not too sure about the idea of not using gasket sealer...good luck, Brian, I know you're trying hard to get this thing fixed. :)

well the first time I didn't use any and it blew out, but the bolts where not tight enough. second time I did on the one I made, the other original blew out. this time I used the sealer on both and they both blew out the paper over the metal. thinking that the sealer might have made that part weaker. anywho its back together again. getting the new tune on my xcal now and I will go back and fire it up.

oh yeah, I forgot the wastegasket seat and had to take everything back out again :blackeye:

doh! so what's the verdict? how does she run?

so far so good. didnt get on it much but it ran well, good boost. it picks up so much speed so fast on the highway I am really hesitant to go to wot ... so when ever the rain passed by I will once over everything again and get some more datalogging done so hopefully its dialed in by the dyno day on the 27th. and for that i will either need a tire rotation or I will have to swap the E0s on so I have tires with tread :eek: :blackeye:

Last edited:
well with the leaky wastegate gaskets replaced everything seems to be running really well now. I noted that the turbine cools itself pretty well now. as normaly the turbo blanket was around 230 when I got back to the storage unit. within 5 minutes of letting the car idle and cool the temp was down to 180. thats pretty quick compared to what it was. Think that that supports that the banks are running the same and bank 1 isn't leaning out anymore.

so I set another set of data logs off to Joey so I have to wait and see about how its running.

So if everything stays together its looking good on this front ....

getting closer .... will have another tune sometime soon to run.

also it was noted that the MAF is reading 40#/min :shocked: now iirc stock at best would see 13~14#/min under load.

Back